2023-24 FA Cup: First Round Roundup

(Image credit: Barry Goodwin)

Roundup of all the action from the First Round of 2023-24 FA Cup.

From a shock result for Aldershot away to Swindon at the County Ground to major scares for many EFL teams and even some giant killings, the First Round of this season’s FA Cup certainly proved a classic with plenty of action and 148 goals in total.

Here is a full roundup of all the action beginning with ties involving Non League teams against EFL opposition.


Non League v EFL

Embed from Getty Images

Tom Naylor’s header saw National League leaders, Chesterfield stun his ex team, Portsmouth 1-0 in a tense encounter against the League One leaders.

Aldershot became the first Non League team to score seven goals away at a EFL club in the FA Cup as they won 7-4 at Swindon, in which Jack Barham scored a hat-trick for the Shots before Daniel Kemp and Charlie Austin scored twice apiece for the defeated hosts once 7-0 down.

Isaac Hutchinson’s goal and assist saw Walsall fight back to avoid a shock cupset away to eight-tier Sheppey United in an eventual 4-1 win at Holm Park, having initially fallen behind to James Bessey-Saldanha’s 21st minute stunning strike from distance.

First half goals from Shayne Lavery and Karamoko Dembele saw Blackpool deny Bromley a first Second Round appearance since 1945-46 season, as the Tangerines won 2-0 at Hayes Lane.

Kyle Wootton scored four goals as Stockport County comfortably hammered seventh-tier Worksop Town 5-1 at Edgeley Park.

Samuel Folarin’s brace helped League Two’s Harrogate Town recover to a 5-1 victory at seventh-tier Marine, after the hosts’  Chris Doyle had cancelled out Abraham Odoh’s early goal.

Harry Smith’s brace saw League Two strugglers, Sutton United avoid a cupset at home to AFC Fylde after Jon Uskabasi had put the visitors ahead at half-time.

Shaun Rooney scored a 46th minute winner for Fleetwood in a comeback 2-1 victory away at Kidderminster Harriers, after Josh Earl cancelled out Bailey Hobson’s opening goal in a quick-fire finish to the first half.

Luke Thomas and Antony Evans both produced a goal and assist apiece as Bristol Rovers thrashed seventh-tier Whitby 7-2 at the Memorial Ground.

Billy Bodin’s brace saw Oxford United cruise past Maidenhead United at the Kassam Stadium to a 2-0 home win.

Goals from Jayden Clarke and Tom Nichols saw Gillingham avoid a cupset with a 2-0 win away at Hereford.

Fejiri Okenabirhie’s 27th minute goal and Olukayode Osu’s own-goal saw Cambridge United edge past seventh-tier Bracknell Town 2-1, despite Ben Harrison having netted a 88th minute consolatory goal for the visitors.

Ricardo Santos, Paris Maghoma, Will Forrester and Dion Charles all netted for Bolton Wanderers in a comfortable 4-0 home win over Solihull Moors.

Shane McLoughlin’s brace saw Newport County comfortably dispatch National League’s Oldham Athletic 2-0 at Rodney Parade.

Tom Richards’ 81st minute equaliser saw seventh-tier Horsham snatch a 3-3 draw against Barnsley in a six-goal epic at Oakwell, during which the Tykes twice led and looked on course for victory through Mael de Gevigney’s 64th minute goal until Richards rescued the Non League team a replay.

A first half brace from John McAtee plus Nicky Cadden’s third minute goal saw Barnsley eventually avoid a cupset in a 3-0 win in the replay.

Daniel Rose cancelled out Scott Davies’ free-kick as last season’s Quarter-Finalists, Grimsby fought back to earn a home replay against Slough Town, before the Mariners hammered Slough 7-2 in their replay during which Rekeil Pyke and Arthur Gnahoua scored braces.

Lucas Ness’ own-goal saw Cray Valley Paper Mills snatch an unlikely replay after a 1-1 draw at London rivals, Charlton Athletic who had led through Scott Fraser’s ninth-minute goal, only for the Addicks to prevail 6-1 in the replay with Alfie May scoring twice.

Olly Sully rescued Forest Green Rovers a scrappy 1-1 draw away at sixth-tier Scarborough who had led through Alex Wiles’ 71st minute goal, and the League Two team went on to win the replay 5-2 in which Harvey Bunker produced a goal and assist.



Embed from Getty Images

Second-half goals from Tom White and Ben Whitfield saw League Two’s Barrow beat League One’s Northampton 3-1 at Sixfields, during which Emile Acquah’s early goal had been cancelled out by Mitchell Pinnock.

James Tilley’s brace fired AFC Wimbledon to a comfortable 5-1 home win over Cheltenham, as Connor Lemonheigh-Evans provided a goal and assist apiece for the hosts.

Killian Phillips’ goal and Sam Stubbs’ own-goal saw Wycombe beat Bradford 2-1 at Valley Parade, despite Jamie Walker’s second-half consolatory goal for the Bantams.

Thelo Aasgaard and Steven Sessegnon both netted for 2013 winners, Wigan Athletic in a 2-0 win away at Exeter City.

Second half goals from Aaron Drinan and Ruel Sotiriou saw Leyton Orient beat Carlisle United 3-1 in an all League One tie, after Joe Pigott’s opening goal had been cancelled out by Joe Garner.

Comeback goals from Michael Mellon and Thomas Bloxham saw Morecambe fight back to win 2-1 at Lincoln City, after the Imps had taken a 14th minute lead through Lasse Sørensen.

Macaulay Longstaff struck a 76th minute winner as Notts County beat Crawley 3-2 at Meadow Lane, after Danilo Orsi scored twice for the visitors either side of comeback goals from Daniel Crowley and David McGoldrick for County.

Emmanuel Fernandez’s injury-time equaliser saw Peterborough salvage a 2-2 draw at home to Salford after Ricky-Jade Jones had initially cancelled out Stephen Mallan’s fifth-minute opening goal, before Zak Sturge’s own-goal had put the visitors on the brink of victory.

Mallan scored again for Salford in the replay which eventually finished 4-4 in another pulsating encounter, before Peterborough eventually triumphed 5-4 on penalties to secure their spot in the Second Round.

Quick-fire goals from Harvey Knibbs and Lewis Wing saw Reading defeat MK Dons 3-2 at the Madejski Stadium, although Max Dean scored a consolatory goal for the Dons in injury-time after Alex Gibley had earlier cancelled out Kelvin Hibhatiomhan’s goal in a tight first-half.

James Reid’s brace – including a 100th minute winner helped Stevenage to a dramatic 4-3 win at home to Tranmere Rovers, in which both teams scored in second-half injury-time in a tense climax at the Lamex Stadium.

Sam Dalby and Paul Mullins struck for Wrexham in a 2-1 win away at Mansfield in an all League Two encounter.

Connor Hall’s 79th minute own-goal handed Shrewsbury Town a comeback 3-2 home victory over Colchester United, after Cameron McGeehan had put the visitors ahead.

Late goals from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Conor Hourihan saw Derby fight back to draw 2-2 at Crewe Alexandra, after goals from Courtney Baker-Richardson and Elliott Nevitt had put the hosts in control shortly after half-time.

Aaron Rowe and Mickey Demetriou however secured Crewe a shock comeback 3-1 victory at Pride Park to eliminate Derby in their replay.

Seamus Conneely’s 84th minute equaliser saw Accrington Stanley earn a replay at home to Doncaster Rovers, after the visitors twice fought back to draw 2-2 at Eco-Power Stadium before Rovers went on to win 2-1 after extra time in the replay from behind.

Port Vale held Burton Albion to a goalless draw at Vale Park which resulted in a replay which Vale won 2-0 at the Pirelli Stadium, courtesy of goals from Gavin Massey and Lewis Cass.


Non League v Non League

Eighth-tier Ramsgate came from behind to beat Woking 2-1 at home with Lee Martin’s 72nd minute free-kick, after TJ Jadama cancelled out Dennon Lewis’ opening goal.

Nicke Kabamba struck a 15th minute winning header as Barnet scraped a narrow win away at Curzon Ashton.

Chris Maguire and Ludwig Francillette both netted twice as Eastleigh shocked Boreham Wood 5-1 at Ten Acres, after Nigel Atangana’s opening goal had been cancelled out by Wood’s Matthew Robinson.

Rhys Murphy’s brace proved enough for Yeovil to clinch a 3-2 hom win over Gateshead, who left it late to attempt a futile comeback with Marcus Dinanga’s brace.

Dvonte Aransibia produced a 12th minute opening goal then turned provider in the 73rd minute for Levi Amantchi, as Maidstone United won 2-0 at Chesham United.

Second half goals from Nathan Newall and Kennedy Digie saw Alfreton beat Worthing 2-0 to reach the Second Round for the third time in their history.

Chester held York City to a goalless draw at home but eventually lost the replay 2-1 as Lenell John-Lewis struck twice for the Ministermen.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.