Rangers welcome Ajax to Ibrox as both teams scrap over third place in Group A of 2022-23 UEFA Champions League.
Having suffered a 4-0 defeat to Ajax in their opening Group A match, Rangers now need to score at least five goals to secure qualification for the Europa League Knockouts.
Ajax meanwhile know that a win or draw would safely see them secure third and a place in the Europa League Knockouts, although defeat would also be enough if lose by four goals or less.
Ridvan Yilmaz is ruled out for Rangers after he suffered a hamstring injury in Saturday’s Scottish Premiership win against Aberdeen.
Ben Davies (knock) is a doubt but Kemar Roofe (unspecified) is again ruled out.
Filip Helander (foot), Ianis Hagis (knee), Connor Goldson (thigh), John Souttar (knock), Ryan Jack (muscle), Tom Lawrence (knee) and Nmandi Ofoborh (illness) remain absent.
Ajax have no fresh injury concerns to report as only Ahmetcan Kaplan (knee) is ruled out.
- Rangers are yet to beat Ajax in the Champions League, having lost all three previous meetings (L3).
- Ajax won their only previous visit to Ibrox by a 1-0 result in October 1996 (W1).
- In three previous Champions League meetings, Rangers have scored one goal and conceded nine goals against Ajax.
- Rangers have conceded 10 goals in their two home matches in this group (L2), during which they scored just once – in a 7-1 loss to Liverpool in October 2022.
- Three of Ajax’s eight goals in this group were scored by Mohammed Kudus.
Needing to win by five goals to avoid an early exit from Europe, Rangers certainly have it all to do here and I just can’t see them delivering the goods given their defensive issues in recent games, whilst their finishing touch in Europe has been atrocious so a huge turnaround is too much to ask for here.
Ajax though were outplayed by Liverpool last week but have now had six days to prepare for this match so I do expect them to come here fully refreshed, ready to really take the fight to Rangers if they can bring their best game.
Pride though is the biggest thing at stake here for both teams after disappointing group campaigns but Rangers will be desperate to avoid finishing bottom with zero points, which could well suit Ajax the more they can frustrate their Scottish hosts.
Prediction: Rangers 0-2 Ajax
Result: Rangers 1-3 Ajax