Marseille welcome Tottenham Hotspur to Stade Velodrome in a crunch Group D clash in 2022-23 UEFA Champions League.
Anything other than a defeat would see Spurs qualify for the Knockout Stage, although victory would assure progression as Group D winners.
Marseille meanwhile know that only victory would be enough to secure qualification – due to Sporting Lisbon and Eintracht Frankfurt sat on seven points ahead of their meeting meaning that one of those two teams are guaranteed a knockout spot.
Eric Bailly is a doubt for Marseille as he struggles to recover from a thigh injury.
Tottenham could be without Cristian Romero after he missed Saturday’s comeback win against Bournemouth due to a muscle injury.
Richarlision (calf) and Dejan Kulusevski (muscle) remain absent.
- Marseille lost their only previous meeting against Tottenham, having suffered a 2-0 defeat in North London in September 2022.
- Tottenham are visiting Marseille for the first time in all UEFA competitions.
- Marseille have won just one of their last five home matches against English opposition (W1, D1, L3).
- Amine Harit has provided more assists than any other Marseille player in this group, having produced two assists.
- Spurs have failed to score in each of their two away matches in this group.
Having lost their opening two group matches, Marseille have done well to pull themselves back into contention with one match left but their form has been inconsistent in recent weeks, so I am unsure as to what to expect from them here.
Tottenham meanwhile simply have to play better than they did at Bournemouth because their defence struggled to handle the Cherries’ attacking intensity, yet were lucky that Bournemouth’s defensive focus slipped and they were able to clinically capitalise from 2-0 down to win.
If Marseille continue to play inconsistently though and Tottenham find their best attacking football, I can see just one result coming but Spurs haven’t scored away from home in this group, so it is a big test of their qualification credentials but if there is a time to step up then it is now.
Prediction: Marseille 0-1 Tottenham
Result: Marseille 1-2 Tottenham