PSV Eindhoven host Arsenal at Philips Stadion in Group A of 2022-23 UEFA Europa League.
Victory would see PSV stay second but cut their deficit to group leaders, Arsenal to two points, whereas Mikel Arteta’s Gunners can ensure that they advance as Group A winners with at least a draw and secure a pass to the Round of 16.
Kjell Peersman is set to be ruled out for PSV Eindhoven with a back injury.
Olivier Boscagli (knee) is also unlikely to feature and could join Ismael Saibari, Marco van Ginkel (both hamstring) and Yorbe Vertessen (muscle) on sidelines.
Arsenal could welcome Oleksandr Zinchenko back from a muscle injury if he is match-fit.
Emile Smith Rowe (groin) and Mohamed Elneny (hamstring) remain absent.
- PSV Eindhoven have won just one of seven previous meetings against Arsenal (W1, D3, L3).
- Arsenal are unbeaten in two of three previous visits to PSV Eindhoven (W1, D1, L1).
- Three of seven previous meetings between PSV Eindhoven and Arsenal have been settled by 1-0 results, of which the Gunners won twice by that result to PSV’s one win.
- Cody Gakpo has been involved in five goals for PSV in this group – having scored three goals and provided two assists.
- Arsenal’s Eddie Nketiah has converted two of his four shots on target into goal in this group.
Having failed to produce any substantial threat at the Emirates Stadium in North London last week, PSV certainly will need to settle quickly and try to dictate this match if they’re to stand any chance of getting a result here.
Arsenal meanwhile were dominant at home then at Southampton on Sunday, yet they seemed to waste their chances as the Saints dug in and punished them with a quick long pass, which tore their defence apart to snatch a draw so I do anticipate a reaction here.
PSV though do seem to have it all to do because if they simply need to win if want to avoid the possibility of the Knockout Play-Offs for another week, which could suit Arsenal who can opt to dig in defensively and hit them on counter or adopt their usual dominant attacking style.
Either way, I don’t expect this to be a game full of goals but if Arsenal play their best football, they should have the edge here.
Prediction: PSV 0-1 Arsenal
Result: PSV 2-0 Arsenal