Republic of Ireland welcome Armenia to Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland in a relegation decider in League B1 of 2022-23 UEFA Nations League.
Victory or a draw would see Ireland avoid relegation to League C, whereas Armenia simply must win in order to stay up and consquently relegate their hosts.
Josh Cullen is suspended for Ireland after receiving his second booking of the competition in Saturday’s away defeat against Scotland.
Manager, Stephen Kenny otherwise has no fresh injury concerns to report ahead of this match.
Armenia have no fresh injury or suspension concerns to report as Arman Hovhannisyan and Kamo Hovhannisyan both return from serving one-match bans.
- Ireland have lost their only previous Nations League meeting against Armenia (L1), having lost 1-0 in June 2022 in Yerevan.
- Armenia lost their only previous away visit to Ireland in all competitions (L1), losing 2-1 in October 2011 in UEFA Euro 2012 Qualifying.
- Two of the three previous meetings were settled by 1-0 results, albeit both came in Armenia.
- All of Ireland’s five goals in this group have been each scored by a different goalscorer.
- Armenia have conceded five goals in two away matches in the group without scoring (L2).
Having suffered a late defeat to Scotland on Saturday evening due to mainly tiny yet costly errors in a relatively open game, Ireland can take heart from a spirited performance in which they executed their counter-attack tactics well but simply proved wasteful in their end product.
Armenia meanwhile were dished a brutally demoralising 5-0 loss at home to Ukraine so a huge performance is required here, particularly because only a win would see them avoid relegation so I do expect them to come here looking to get on the attack and dictate this game.
Ireland though have survival in their own hands and have largely played well in this group, so I do expect them to turn up and continue to build on their progress, although their finishing has to improve and that aspect could very well prove crucial.
Prediction: ROI 2-1 Armenia
Result: ROI 3-2 Armenia (Armenia are RELEGATED!!!)