Sheriff Tiraspol welcome Manchester United to Zimbru Stadium, Chisinau, in their second Group E match in 2022-23 UEFA Europa League.
Victory would see Sheriff Tiraspol stay top of Group E, whereas Man Utd could go top with a win depending on size of margin and if Real Sociedad lose elsewhere.
Sheriff Tiraspol have no fresh injury concerns to report with a full squad set to be available for selection, following their victory away to Omonia last week.
Man Utd will be without Marcus Rashford after he missed their last training session prior to their flight to Chisinau.
Donny van de Beek could return after he missed Utd’s home defeat to Real Sociedad last time out with a knock, whilst Luke Shaw is a doubt with a foot injury.
Anthony Martial (Achilles), Facundo Pellistri (ankle), Brandon Williams (unspecified) and Mason Greenwood (personal) remain ruled out.
- This is Sheriff Tiraspol’s first-ever meeting against Manchester United in all UEFA competitions.
- Man Utd are playing away to Sheriff Tiraspol for the very first time across all UEFA competitions.
- This match marks the first time that Utd have played Moldovian opposition in any UEFA competition.
- Sheriff have lost both of their two previous meetings against English opposition in this competiton – losing 2-0 at home and 2-1 away to Tottenham in 2013-14 season.
- Utd have have won just one of their last five away matches in all UEFA competitions (W1, D2, L2).
Having clinically thrashed Omonia in their opening match, Sheriff Tiraspol can come into this match with no fear because nobody is expecting them to produce much of a challenge to reach the knockout stage.
Man Utd meanwhile suffered a surprise defeat at home to Real Sociedad in a game where they wasted chances, so I do expect a strong reaction and a better line-up here given that they had the weeekend off and their coming domestic clash against Leeds on Sunday has been postponed.
This is the first time that both teams have faced each other though so I can see an initially cagey encounter but Utd’s quality should be enough to get an away win, although I can’t see this being an easy game if Sheriff turn up and play like they did last week.
Prediction: Sheriff Tiraspol 1-2 Manchester United
Result: Sheriff Tiraspol 0-2 Manchester United