Liverpool welcome AC Milan to Anfield in their opening Group B clash of 2021-22 UEFA Champions League as the 2004-05 finalists once again lock horns.
Victory could send either team top of Group B depending on Atletico Madrid’s result against Porto elsewhere.
Harvey Elliott is ruled out for Liverpool after suffering an ankle injury in Sunday’s away win at Leeds United.
Neco Williams (foot) is a doubt but Roberto Firmino (hamstring) and Takumi Minamino (thigh) remain absent.
AC Milan will be without Rade Krunic after the Bosnian international suffered a muscle injury on international duty this month.
Tiemoue Bakayoko (ankle) and Zlatan Ibrahimović (Achilles) are also ruled out.
- Excluding penalty shootouts, Liverpool are winless in two previous meetings against AC Milan (D1, L1).
- AC Milan are visiting Anfield for the first time in UEFA competitions as both teams meet for the first time outside of Champions League Finals.
- Liverpool have avoided defeat in three of their last five home matches against Italian opposition (W2, D1, L2).
- AC Milan are winless in their last four away matches in all UEFA competitions against English opposition (D2, L3).
- Three of Liverpool’s last five Champions League goals were scored by Mohamed Salah, with the other two goals coming courtesy of Sadio Mane.
Liverpool come into this match back to their best and were just excellent in an energetic away performance at Leeds on Sunday, simply because they mixed their attacks up which caused defensive issues for Leeds with Trent Alexander-Arnold looking a real threat on the right flank in his fullback role.
AC Milan though cannot be underestimated because they do possess several threats in players like Olivier Giroud, Sandro Tonali and Simon Kjaer with an attacking 4-2-3-1 formation, so expect them to either try and gain control early on or try and deploy a counter-attacking style give the Reds’ quality.
Either way, this promises to be an intriguing contest but if Liverpool play like they did at Leeds, it is hard to not see them winning although a score draw would be a decent result nevertheless.
Prediction: Liverpool 2-1 AC Milan
Result: Liverpool 3-2 AC Milan