Manchester City kick off their bid for European glory as they welcome RB Leipzig to Etihad Stadium in Group A of 2021-22 UEFA Champions League.
Victory for either team could send them top of Group A depending on what happens in Club Brugge’s clash against PSG elsewhere.
Man City have no fresh injury concerns to report after Saturdays Premier League win at Leicester.
Zack Steffen (Coronavirus), Benjamin Mendy (personal) and Liam Delap (unspecified) remain absent.
RB Leipzig could be without Hugo Novoa due to a knock
Marcelo Saracchi (knee) is ruled out whilst Marcel Halstenberg (ankle) and Sidney Raebiger (hip) are unlikely to feature.
- This is Manchester City’s first-ever meeting against RB Leipzig in all competitions.
- Man City have won each of their last six proper home clashes against German opposition (W6), although their home leg in last season’s Last 16 against Borussia Monchengladbach was held in Hungary due to travel restrictions.
- RB Leipzig have won just one of two away matches against English opposition on English soil (W1, L1), as their 2020-21 Last 16 away leg against Liverpool was held in Hungary due to travel restrictions.
- City’s last six goals at home in the Champions League were scored by four midfielders with Riyad Mahrez and Kevin De Bruyne netting twice whilst Ilkay Gundogan and Phil Foden scored once each.
- RB Leipzig kept just one disciplinary clean sheet last season in Champions League, which came in the second leg of their Round of 16 exit to Liverpool.
After returning from this month’s international break, Man City will of relished Saturday’s difficult scrappy win against Leicester after two smooth victories a few weeks ago, especially because the Foxes gave them a good battle which is ideal preparation for this clash which will be just as tough.
RB Leipzig though lost both away meetings against English opposition last season without scoring so will be fired up for this clash, especially with their aggressive pressing style likely to cause issues for City although I do expect the Citizens to be prepared after their performance on Saturday.
On that note, this should be a close contest but I am going for a home win because City should have enough to snatch the win here no matter what is thrown their way.
Prediction: Manchester City 2-1 RB Leipzig
Result: Manchester City 6-3 RB Leipzig