Chelsea welcome last season’s Europa League champions, Sevilla to Stamford Bridge in their Champions League Group E opener.
Frank Lampard’s Blues will be hoping to begin Group E on a high as they look to go further than the Last 16 stage of last season, whilst Sevilla are looking to make it five Champions League away trips unbeaten in last six ties within this competition.
Thiago Silva could feature for Chelsea after missing Saturday’s 3-3 draw against Southampton due to fatigue following extensive international duty with Brazil in the last fortnight.
Edouard Mendy (thigh) is a doubt whilst Billy Gilmour remains absent as he continues to rebuild his fitness after a knee injury.
Sevilla have a full squad available with no fresh injury or suspension concerns to report.
- This is Chelsea’s first-ever meeting against Sevilla in all competitions.
- Chelsea have won just one of last six Champions League meetings against Spanish opposition (W1, D3, L2).
- Sevilla have lost just one of their last eight European meetings against English opposition in all competitions (W4, D3, L1).
- Tammy Abraham has scored in two of his last three European appearances for Chelsea.
- Luuk De Jong has scored three goals in his last two European appearances for Sevilla.
Chelsea will definitely be wary coming into this match because as already proven domestically this season, they are fantastic going forward but defensively shambolic at the rear which will be an area which Sevilla should look to exploit when get the opportunities to do so.
Sevilla however should be wary of Ben Chilwell’s ability in terms of pace and creativity which will likely be an issue up the left flank for Lucas Ocampos to handle, although the Europa League champions are set up like Sheffield United with wing-backs which Chelsea struggled against last season if Sevilla need reason for optimism.
This should therefore be an entertaining clash between the last two Europa League champions and a draw wouldn’t be a bad prediction but if Chilwell gets silenced quickly, I think Sevilla might just edge this.
Prediction: Chelsea 1-1 Sevilla
Result: Chelsea 0-0 Sevilla