Newly crowned Premier League champions, Liverpool visit last season’s title holders – Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium in a top of table clash.
Man City look to move closer towards the runner-up spot with a win, whereas Liverpool know that victory will boost their chances of breaking City’s record points haul in a title winning season.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Man City have no fresh injury concerns as Fernandinho serves the last of a two match suspension.
Eric Garcia (concussion) and Sergio Aguero (knee) both remain ruled out.
Liverpool could welcome James Milner and Xherdan Shaqiri back from respective hamstring and calf injuries, although both will be subject to late fitness tests.
Joel Matip however is absent for rest of this season with a foot injury.
- Manchester City are unbeaten in four of their last six league meetings against Liverpool (W2, D2, L2).
- Liverpool have won just one of last seven league trips to the Etihad Stadium (W1, D2, L4).
- Only one of the last nine goals in this fixture has come from a defender – Liverpool’s Joel Matip during 2019 FA Community Shield.
- Gabriel Jesus has made 13 substitute appearances this season, more than any other City player.
- No Premier League player has made more passes this season coming into this round than Liverpool’s Virgil van Dijk, who has made 2,702 passes in 31 appearances.
Man City were brilliant against Newcastle at the weekend in terms of quickly seizing control and dominating the game, whilst defensively hustling the Magpies’ all over the pitch.
Liverpool therefore will have to be at their absolute best because City and Kevin De Bruyne won’t be easy to shut down, which should hopefully mean goals in an entertaining match.
City however will likely have too much for Liverpool if they start quickly and seize control, although I do have a feeling that the Reds won’t give up now the title is settled and go for City’s record points tally.
Prediction: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool
Result: Manchester City 4-0 Liverpool