Liverpool host Union Saint-Gilloise at Anfield in Group E of 2023-24 UEFA Europa League.
Victory will see Liverpool stay top of Group E whilst Union Saint-Gilloise can leapfrog them with a win and go top if better Toulouse’s result against LASK.
Cody Gakpo is ruled out for Liverpool with a knee injury which saw him substituted at half time during their Premier League loss at Tottenham.
Curtis Jones and Diogo Jota are expected to start because their suspensions only apply to domestic matches, meaning that they will miss Sunday’s Premier League trip to Brighton.
Stefan Bajcetic (calf) and Thiago Alcantara (hip) remain sidelined.
Union Saint-Gilloise have no fresh injury concerns to report but Dennis Ekert is a doubt after he missed their last four games with a knock.
When is Kick-Off?
Liverpool host Union Saint-Gilloise at Anfield on Thursday 5 October at 8pm BST, live on TNT Sport 1 in the UK.
- This is Liverpool’s first-ever meeting against Union Saint-Gilloise in all competitions.
- Union Saint-Gilloise are playing away to Liverpool for the first time in their history.
- Liverpool have won all five previous hom matches against Belgian opposition in all UEFA comptitions (W5).
- Mohamed Salah has scored in each of Liverpool’s last four home games in all UEFA compettitions (W3, L1).
- Two of Union Saint-Gilloise’s four goals in this season’s competition has been scored by Dennis Eckert.
After riding their luck for so long in terms of comeback wins this season, I wasn’t surprised to see Liverpool finally lose last weekend but no team though should of lost in the manner that they did through idiotic refereeing and VAR antics and a draw would of been a fair outcome.
Union Saint-Gilloise meanwhile are a tough team to beat and are unbeaten in their last four games but are lacking the firepower quality of last season, which will mean having to deliver a clinical performance if want to snatch something here.
Liverpool though will be relishing this match as a chance to put their domestic injustice behind them and I fancy them to snatch a solid win, although they might well be pushed all the way if Union Saint-Gilloise are defensively astute against their strong attack.
Prediction: Liverpool 2-1 Union Saint-Gilloise
Result: Liverpool 2-0 Union Saint-Gilloise