Marseille meet Brighton at Stade Velodrome in Group B of 2023-24 UEFA Europa League.
Victory could see Marseille go top if AEK Athens lose elsewhere, whilst Brighton can go second at best with a win.
Pape Gueye will return for Marseille after he was suspended for their Ligue 1 loss at AS Monaco.
Geoffrey Kondogbia (groin) remains absent.
Brighton could welcome Adam Lalana (unspecified) and Pascal Gross (muscle) back into contention for selection if they’re both declared match fit.
James Milner (muscle), Julio Enciso and Jakub Moder (both knee) remain absent.
When is Kick-Off?
Marseille host Brighton at Stade Velodrome in a 6:45pm kick-off CEST (5:45pm UK Time) on Thursday 5 October, live on TNT Sport 1 in the UK.
- This is Marseille’s first-ever meeting against Brighton in all UEFA competitions.
- Brighton are playing away to Marseille for the first time in their history.
- Marseille are winless in their last seven home games against English opposition (D1, L6).
- Marseille’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored three goals in eight previous appearances against Brighton in all competitions.
- This is Brighton’s first away match in all UEFA competitions.
Without a win in five matches and having kept two clean sheets in all competitions this season, Marseille need to sort out their defensive issues which was clearly their weak point against Ajax a fortnight ago and will likely be the biggest part of their line-up under pressure here.
Brighton meanwhile simply failed to get going much in their horrific loss at Aston Villa where their defence were outclassed on the counter attack, so a huge improvement will be required if they want to seriously get that win and push for knockout qualification.
Roberto De Zerbi’s Seagulls though are yet to keep a clean sheet this season and after seeing Arsenal lose in France on Tuesday evening, they will be seeking redemption on behalf of English clubs so I can see a tough contest brewing which the visitors will hopefully edge.
Prediction: Marseille 1-2 Brighton
Result: Marseille 2-2 Brighton