Sheffield Wednesday host Sunderland at Hillsborough in a Championship clash.
Victory would see Sheffield Wednesday move off the foot of the table but stay in the relegation zone, whilst Sunderland can go fourth with a win.
Sheffield Wednesday have no fresh injury concerns to report following their defeat at Swansea last weekend.
Will Vaulks (unspecified), Mallik Wilks (fitness) and Momo Diaby (foot) remain absent.
Sunderland have no fresh injury concerns to report after their loss to Cardiff last weekend.
Bradley Dack (hamstring), Dennis Cirkin (muscle), Pierre Ekwah (leg), Jay Matete (knee), Aji Alese (thigh), and Corry Evans (ACL) remain absent.
When is Kick-Off?
Sheffield Wednesday host Sunderland at Hillsborough at 8pm BST on Friday 29 September, live on Sky Sports in the UK.
- Sheffield Wednesday are unbeaten in four of their last six league meetings against Sunderland – including their League One Play-Off Semi-Final in May 2022 (W2, D2, L2).
- Sunderland are unbeaten in four of their last five league visits to Sheffield Wednesday (W2, D2, L1), including a 1-1 draw in second leg of their League One Play-Off Semi-Final in May 2022.
- Sheffield Wednesday are unbeaten in their last four home games across all competitions against Sunderland (W2, D2).
- Xisco Munoz’s Owls have scored twice and conceded five goals in their four home matches this season.
- Four of Sunderland’s seven away goals in the Championship this season were scored by Jack Clarke.
Following defeat in a must-win game at Swansea last weekend where they simply lacked much end product with one shot on target from 10 shots, Sheffield Wednesday now must improve and find their scoring boots if want to avoid getting cut adrift this early of their relegation rivals.
Sunderland meanwhile were unlucky to not get at least a draw against Cardiff but came up against a resilient Bluebirds defence with clinical set play to their credit, so I would like to see them channel that frustration and come out with a fighting performance.
Sheffield Wednesday’s weak defence consequently is surely going to leave them at Sunderland’s mercy and after seeing their neighbours get destroyed by Newcastle last weekend, these Owls better hope that they aren’t next for a North East demolition in Yorkshire.
Prediction: Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Sunderland
Result: Sheffield Wednesday 0-3 Sunderland