Real Madrid welcome Celtic to Santiago Bernabeu in their concluding Group F clash in 2022-23 UEFA Champions League.
Victory would see Real Madrid advance as Group F winners otherwise they will need RB Leipzig to slip up elsewhere to secure top spot, whilst Celtic are already eliminated so are playing just for pride and momentum here.
Aurelien Tchouameni and Karim Benzema are doubts for Real Madrid with muscle injuries, as the La Liga club consider making squad rotation changes, having already secured qualification even though top spot is still up for grabs.
Celtic have no fresh injury concerns after their Scottish Premiership win against Livingston on Sunday, as Stephen Welsh (knock) and Carl Starfelt (knee) both look to make the bench at minimum.
Callum McGregor (knee) remains absent.
- Real Madrid have won two of three previous meetings against Celtic in this competition – including when formerly known as European Cup (W2, L1).
- Celtic lost their only previous away visit to Santiago Bernabeu in March 1980 by 3-0 result.
- Real have won their last two meetings against Celtic by 3-0 results.
- Real Madrid have scored twice in each of their two group matches so far and conceded just once (W2).
- Celtic has scored once in each of their two away matches this group, although one of those two away goals was an own goal – courtesy of Shakhtar Donetsk’s Artem Bondarenko in a 1-1 draw.
At any other time during this Group Stage, Benzema would of likely been a huge loss for Real but with qualification assured, I can see a lot of changes coming for Real whose defence has tended to be leaky this season despite only losing once in all competitions.
Celtic meanwhile have just pride to play for so it will be interesting to see how they approach this match after having comfortably defeated Livingston on Sunday, yet their defence has been their weak point which is something that Real will look to press.
This game though feels like it is Real Madrid’s to lose because despite not much riding on this game, they should have enough to claim a routine win with or without Benzema in the team.
Prediction: Real Madrid 2-0 Celtic
Result: Real Madrid 5-1 Celtic