Manchester City host Borussia Dortmund at Etihad Stadium in a top of Group G clash in 2022-23 UEFA Champions League.
Victory will see Man City stay top of Group G for another matchweek, whereas Dortmund can go top with a win.
John Stones could return for Man City after he recovered from a knock which kept him out of their win at Sevilla last week.
Aymeric Laporte (knee) could make his first appearance of the season if he is fit enough but Kyle Walker (knock) remains absent and is unlikely to be available fot selection.
Dortmund have no fresh injury concerns to report after Saturday’s Bundesliga defeat at RB Leipzig.
Gregor Kobel, Donyell Malen (both muscle), Mateu Morey (knee), Mahmoud Dahoud, Jamie Bynoe-Gittens (both shoulder), Thorgan Hazard (hamstring), Karim Adeyemi (ankle) and Sebastien Haller (illness) are ruled out.
- Man City are unbeaten in three of four previous Champions League meetings against Borussia Dortmund (W2, D1, L1).
- Dortmund are winless in two previous visits to Man City (D1, L1).
- City’s Phil Foden has scored in each of his two previous appearances against Dortmund (W2).
- City have won each of their last eight home matches in all UEFA competitions against German opposition (W8).
- Dortmund have won just one of their last five Champions League away matches against English opposition (W1, D1, L3).
Having stuttered to a draw at Aston Villa in their first match of September, Man City certainly hit back with a ruthless display last time out at Sevilla and will now have the fresher legs after their domestic match at the weekend was postponed.
Dortmund though might have an injury crisis but they can’t be underestimated with players like Jude Bellingham and Marco Reus still available and thrashed Copenhagen last week, so I expect them to come here to try and attack despite their poor form at the Etihad Stadium.
Erling Haaland though will be eager to impress and continue his awesome form for City even against his former team, who however will know how to try and stop him so tactics could well play a part in the result but I am struggling to see past a home win.
Prediction: Manchester City 2-0 Borussia Dortmund
Result: Manchester City 2-1 Borussia Dortmund