Southampton welcome Brighton & Hove Albion to St Mary’s Stadium in a mid-table Premier League clash.
Victory would lift Southampton up to 11th with teams above them not in action until Sunday, whereas a win would lift Brighton up to sixth if Wolves lose elsewhere.
Jan Bednarek is a doubt for Southampton after suffering a suspected calf injury in Wednesday’s draw against Leicester.
Jack Stephens (knee) could feature if fully match fit but Stuart Armstrong (calf) remains absent.
Brighton will be without Jeremy Sarmiento after the 19 year-old suffered a hamstring injury in Wednesday’s draw at West Ham.
Adam Webster (calf) and Adam Lallana (thigh) are doubts but Steven Alzate (ankle) and Danny Welbeck (hamstring) remain ruled out.
- Southampton have lost just one of their last eight league meetings against Brighton (W3, D4, L1).
- Brighton are unbeaten in four previous Premier League visits to St Mary’s Stadium (W1, D3).
- Graham Potter’s Seagulls have scored first in their last two visits to Southampton.
- Southampton’s Adam Armstrong has converted 12 of his 38 shots onto target in 13 league appearances this season.
- Coming into this matchweek, no player this season has produced more headed clearances than Brighton’s Shane Duffy who made 44 headed clearances in 12 appearances.
Having played an excellent first half on the front foot with two clinical goals, Southampton will be disappointed to have conceded either side of their two goals but they were simply too slow in reacting to prevent Leicester’s goals but defended well for an eventual draw.
Brighton meanwhile were outplayed at times at West Ham on Wednesday but they stuck in with proper grit despite wasting chances, which eventually paid off with a cracking equaliser and highlights that these Seagulls aren’t beaten until the final whistle.
On that note, this game does therefore feel like it could boil down to tactics because Southampton do have the quality going forward, whereas Brighton have a solid overall unity and stronger defence so I expect a fight here with a likely draw.
Prediction: Southampton 1-1 Brighton
Result: Southampton 1-1 Brighton