West Ham welcome Rapid Wien to London Stadium in Group H of 2021-22 UEFA Europa League Group Stage.
Victory would see David Moyes’ Hammers stay top of Group H, whereas Rapid Wien could go top depending on results elsewhere.
Ryan Fredericks is West Ham’s only injury absentee as he continues to recover from a groin injury, although manager – David Moyes is set to rotate his squad after Saturday’s win at Leeds United.
Rapid Wien will be without Oliver Strunz (foot), Christopher Dibon (knee), Lion Schuster and Richard Strebinger (both muscle).
- This is the first-ever meeting between West Ham and Rapid Wien in all UEFA competitions.
- West Ham are facing Austrian opposition for the very first time across all UEFA competitions.
- Rapid Wien have won just one of four previous away matches to English opposition across all UEFA competitions (W1, L3), as well as losing 1984-85 Cup Winners’ Cup Final 3-1 to Everton in Rotterdam.
- West Ham have lost just one of their last five home matches in Europa League (W3, D1, L1).
- Wien have lost three of their last five Europa League away matches (W2, L3).
Having thrashed Dinamo Zagreb in their opening Group H match, West Ham already seem well adapted for Europa League football with pressing pacey football but their high-line defence seems dodgy at times as Leeds exposed on Saturday but aggressive attacking got the Hammers the win.
Rapid Wien meanwhile don’t have a great away record on English soil but will certainly be trying to make life as difficult for West Ham as they can, especially after scraping a late winner over Genk two weeks ago so I expect the Austrian team to come here set up to be difficult to break down.
West Ham though should have enough quality in them if can replicate their aggressive second-half attacking performance from Saturday’s win at Leeds, which should be enough to get them a routine win here.
Prediction: West Ham 2-0 Rapid Wien
Result: West Ham 2-0 Rapid Wien