Bristol City welcome Swansea City to Ashton Gate in Friday Night Football as the 2021-22 Sky Bet Championship season continues.
Victory would lift Nigel Pearson’s Robins up to seventh at minimum ahead of the weekend’s matches, whereas Swansea look to move away from the relegation zone and further up the mid-table standings.
Andy King is a doubt for Bristol City after suffering an unspecified injury in Tuesday’s win at Reading.
Antoine Semenyo (fitness) and Joe Williams (knock) are also considered doubtful but
Swansea will be without ex Robins duo of Korey Smith and Liam Walsh due to respective calf and hamstring injuries.
Connor Roberts (groin) and Ben Hamer (Coronavirus) are also ruled out.
- Bristol City have lost just one of their last six meetings against Swansea (W3, D2, L1).
- Swansea have won just one of their last six trips to Ashton Gate (W1, D3, L2).
- Bristol City have conceded just once in their last three home matches against Swansea.
- Nigel Pearson’s Robins have scored and conceded seven goals apiece in four matches across all competitions so far this season.
- Joel Piroe is the only Swansea player to have scored more than once this season, having netted in Tuesday’s 3-1 league defeat to Stoke and a 3-0 win at Reading in First Round of Carabao Cup.
Bristol City come into this match off the back of their best performance of this season yet after delivering clinical attacking football, yet their defending still remains an issue which will be of concern because Nigel Pearson definitely should expect more focus when off the ball than to allow sloppy goals in.
Swansea meanwhile are yet to get going because they didn’t score against Blackburn or Stoke until at least two goals down, although they did manage clean sheets against Reading and Sheffield United so this is now a must-win if they’re to give themselves early momentum to build on.
On that note, I do expect a good competitive game because we know that Bristol City have the attacking quality but needs to tighten up defensively, whereas Swansea need a huge improvement after a slow start so this could be an interesting match but I am going for a home win.
Prediction: Bristol City 2-1 Swansea City
Result: Bristol City 0-1 Swansea City