Liverpool kick off the second matchweek of 2021-22 Premier League season as Jurgen Klopp’s Reds host Burnley at Anfield.
Victory would send Liverpool top for at least a few hours whereas Burnley could temporarily go 11th at minimum with a win.
Thiago Alcantara and Jordan Henderson are set to feature for Liverpool after missing their opening weekend win at Norwich, due to a lack of fitness as a result of returning late from international duty this summer.
Curtis Jones (concussion) is also set to feature but Andrew Robertson (ankle) is ruled out.
Burnley have no fresh injury concerns as Dale Stephens (ankle) and Kevin Long (calf) remain ruled out.
- Liverpool have lost just one of their last nine meetings against Burnley (W6, D2, L1).
- Burnley have won just one of seven previous Premier League trips to Anfield (W1, D2, L4).
- Liverpool have conceded in each of their last five home matches against Sean Dyche’s Clarets (W2, D2, L1).
- Burnley have won just one of their last five opening away games to a new season (W1, D1, L3).
- Mohamed Salah has scored five goals in Liverpool’s last three first home matches of a new season (W3).
With majority of players now fully fit after an injury hit campaign last season, Liverpool looked back to their very best at Norwich with sloppy midfield play from the Canaries punished although the Reds did initially waste several chances before hitting their stride.
Burnley meanwhile be disappointed with their defeat to Brighton because they were excellent on the attack with proper intensity on the ball and in their runs, yet struggled to handle intelligent passing play from Brighton in the second half which ultimately proved their undoing.
I therefore am expecting a good match between two attacking teams who will definitely be up for this match in front of a packed Anfield, yet it is hard to not look past Liverpool for the win unless Burnley deliver a strong defensive display to snatch a draw or even victory themselves.
Prediction: Liverpool 2-1 Burnley
Result: Liverpool 2-0 Burnley