Manchester United brings Super Sunday to a conclusion as they welcome Newcastle United to Old Trafford in Sunday Night Football
Victory will see Man Utd stay second and potentially cut their deficit to league leaders, Man City down to seven points if the Citizens lose at Arsenal on Sunday teatime.
Newcastle meanwhile can move above Brighton into 16th with a win and boost their survival hopes.
Edinson Cavani and Donny van de Beek could return for Man Utd after missing Thursday’s Europa League win over Real Sociedad with muscle injuries.
Scott McTominay (knock) is a doubt and could join Paul Pogba (muscle) plus Phil Jones (knee) on sidelines.
Newcastle will welcome Jeff Hendrick back after he missed their defeat at Chelsea through suspension.
Federico Fernandez (hamstring), Javi Manquillo (ankle), Fabian Schar (knee) and Callum Wilson (hamstring) are ruled out.
- Man Utd have lost just one of their last five meetings against Newcastle (W4, L1).
- Newcastle have taken just one point from their last five trips to Old Trafford (D1, L4).
- Marcus Rashford has scored in three of his last four appearances for Man Utd against Newcastle.
- Each of the results in Newcastle’s last three away league games have finished 2-0, with Steve Bruce’s Magpies winning just once (W1, L2).
- If Edinson Cavani plays and scores, it will be the first time that he has netted in three consecutive league games at home since January-February 2019 whilst at PSG.
Man Utd were made to work hard for a valuable point in their last league match at West Brom but were just ruthless against Real Sociedad in midweek with a dominant display on neutral territory in Italy.
Newcastle meanwhile are beginning to turn the screws with stronger performances in recent weeks, even though they still lack firepower up front which will be an issue against the Red Devils, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer now able to field his star players here and rest them on Thursday instead.
To be perfectly honest, I really don’t see Newcastle getting any points here but with rumours that Rafa Benitez could be returning, this is a chance for the Magpies to impress early if he is indeed returning or alternatively give Steve Bruce further signs of promise to build on if those claims are false.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-0 Newcastle
Result: Manchester United 3-1 Newcastle