Dutch champions, Ajax welcome Premier League champions, Liverpool to Johan Cruyff Arena in their opening Group D clash in 2020-21 UEFA Champions League.
This group also contains Atalanta and Midtjylland meaning that victory here will be crucial for either team to build momentum heading into a fast and furious fortnight of matches across different competitions.
Ajax have no fresh injury concerns with a full squad available for selection.
Liverpool will be without defender, Virgil van Dijk after the Dutch international suffered a serious knee injury in Saturday’s 2-2 draw against Everton.
Thiago Alcantara (knee) and Naby Keita (fitness) are doubts whilst Alisson (shoulder), Joel Matip (muscle) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee) remain absent.
- Ajax are unbeaten in two previous meetings against Liverpool, back in December 1966 in European Cup (W1, D1).
- Liverpool are unbeaten in six meetings against Dutch opposition this century (W5, D1), of which four of those clashes were against PSV.
- Ajax have won just one of their last five ties against English opposition (W1, D1, L3).
- Liverpool are unbeaten in two of their last three opening Champions League games in a new season (W1, D1, L1).
- Mohamed Salah has scored in two of Liverpool’s last four European away trips, with the Reds winning on both occasions.
Although these teams haven’t met in 54 years, Ajax will certainly be viewing this as a huge opportunity to post early points on the board because their home form this season has been impressive, with ten goals in three home outings which could mean a tough night for Liverpool if Jurgen Klopp’s team aren’t careful.
Liverpool meanwhile come into this game off the back of a promising performance at Everton in which they were impressive in going forward yet wasteful of shots when through on goal, although their man marking was notably poor particularly when dealing with crosses and set pieces which Ajax should look to target with Van Dijk ruled out.
Either way, this is likely Liverpool’s toughest trip in this group but if they can show more of their clinical edge which has been absent at times this season then they should have enough but there will be goals aplenty.
Prediction: Ajax 2-3 Liverpool
Result: Ajax 0-1 Liverpool