Aston Villa face a must-win match in their battle for survival as they welcome Arsenal to Villa Park.
If Watford avoid defeat to Manchester City earlier on Tuesday evening, Villa must clinch at least a draw if are to take their survival bid to the final day, whereas Arsenal need at least one point to climb to eighth in the table.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Kortney Hause and Danny Drinkwater could be available for Villa after recovering from a rib injury and knock respectively.
Neil Taylor (hamstring) faces a late fitness test whilst Bjorn Engels (Achilles), Tom Heaton and Wesley (both knee) remain absent.
Arsenal will be without Shkodran Mustafi after the defender was substituted late on in Saturday’s FA Cup semi-final win over Man City with a muscle injury.
Bernd Leno, Calum Chambers, Gabriel Martinelli (all knee), Pablo Mari (ankle), Mesut Ozil (back) and Matteo Guendouzi (discipline) are all still sidelined.
- This is Aston Villa’s 50th Premier League meeting against Arsenal (W8, D14, L27)
- Villa have lost each of their last seven meetings against Arsenal in all competitions (L7).
- Arsenal are unbeaten in their last 17 trips to Villa Park (W10, D7).
- Both teams have had four players red carded in 49 previous Premier League meetings.
- Two shots on target for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang would see him become the first Gabon international to achieve 100 shots on target in the Premier League.
After taking four points from their last two matches, Villa really need to deliver a strong performance if want to avoid relegation but will have to also be at their absolute defensive best if are to beat Arsenal who are chasing seventh.
Speaking of Arsenal, they have have claimed two huge scalps in Liverpool and Man City in the last six days with clinical counter-attacking performances, so I do expect them to come to Villa Park believing that they can dominate and get a win.
This therefore could be a scrappy game early on because both teams need the win for different reasons, although I do eventually think that Arsenal’s quality and recent form over Villa will tell.
Prediction: Aston Villa 0-2 Arsenal
Result: Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal