After a hectic news roundup last week, this past week has been about the rumour mill from fresh doubts over British Grand Prix to Sebastian Vettel’s future.
Renault meanwhile are reportedly set to make massive cuts as they feel the financial impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, whilst Valtteri Bottas’ future is amongst smaller gossip on the agenda.
British Grand Prix in Doubt Again
Fresh doubts again surround whether the British Grand Prix will be held this year, after the UK Government decided to introduce a fortnight quarantine rule for travellers returning from aboard with exemptions not covering F1 or any other sport.
This announcement casts fresh doubt over whether the British Grand Prix can go ahead, because teams would need to self-isolate for two weeks upon arrival to UK when returning from Austria or on entry in cases of Ferrari, Alpha Tauri and Alfa Romeo.
Silverstone Managing Director Stuart Pringle however is optimistic that the races will go ahead given the ‘very complex’ importance in F1 getting going, given the logistics involved and need to know that it can ‘come in and out of its home base,’ as revealed in an interview with Sky Sports.
UK Government have stated that the rule could be amended when reviewed every three weeks.
Vettel to Mercedes?
Mercedes Team Principal, Toto Wolff has refused to rule out a move to bring Sebastian Vettel to Brackley, with both Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas out of contract at end of season.
In a video interview released by Mercedes, Wolff spoke about how he goes about making driver decisions, revealing that he looks at various factors such as; data, junior formulas, driver comparisons and personality.
Wolff also mentioned that there are certain questions which are considered like team structure and team-mate dynamic, saying; “All these factors are being in a way compounded. We are discussing that in a forum, everyone gives their opinion, and most often everybody in that group has the same opinion anyway.”
Italian Journalist – Giuliano Duchessa however has reported that Mercedes’ parent company, Daimler is reportedly keen to bring Vettel to the team despite resistance from various opposition who favour Mercedes junior, George Russell if Valtteri Bottas departs.
Renault to make Cuts?
Speculation is rife over Renault’s F1 future after claims that the outfit are reportedly set to make £1.79bn in cuts as the team continues to feel the financial impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, according to French Press Agency – Agence France-Presse.
Renault are therefore expected to close factories and produce fewer car models, although questions will surround the future of its F1 team with star driver – Daniel Ricciardo leaving at end of season.
Team Principal, Cyril Abiteboul has however moved to clarify that the team won’t be leaving F1, despite various rumours circulating in regards to Renault’s future in F1.
- Teams have approved a $145m cost cap plus other various rule changes for next season, including an aero development handicap system. (Autosport.com)
- Valtteri Bottas is reportedly in talks with Renault about replacing Ricciardo next season. (Motorsport-total.com)
- Bottas and Esteban Ocon will make their F1 eSport debut this weekend as they join Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for the Virtual Monaco Grand Prix. (F1.com)
- Should plans for double British Grands Prix be cancelled, Hungary could move forward and take Silverstone’s place across consecutive weekends of 24-26 July and 31 July – 2 August. (Motorsport.com)
- Jenson Button is backing Carlos Sainz to “give Charles Leclerc a run for his money.” when the Spaniard moves to Ferrari next season. (Skysports.com)