Last season’s finalists collide as Manchester United host Newcastle United at Old Trafford in Fourth Round of 2023-24 Carabao Cup.
Victory would see Man Utd reach the Quarter-Finals for a fourth time in the last five seasons.
Newcastle meanwhile are hoping to make back-to-back appearances in the last eight for the first time since 1974-75 & 75-76 seasons.
Man Utd have no fresh injury concerns to report after their Premier League League loss to Manchester City, whilst Aaron Wan-Bissaka (hamstring) and Casemiro (ankle) could both return if pass late fitness tests.
Lisandro Martinez (foot), Luke Shaw (muscle), Jadon Sancho (personal), Tyrell Malacia and Amad Diallo (both knee) remain sidelined.
Newcastle have no fresh injury concerns to report after a 2-2 draw at Wolves last weekend in the Premier League.
Sven Botman (knee), Elliott Anderson (back), Jacob Murphy (shoulder), Lewis Miley (illness), Sandro Tonali (suspension), Harvey Barnes (foot) and Alexander Isak (groin) remain absent.
When is Kick-Off?
Man Utd host Newcastle at Old Trafford in a 8:15pm GMT kick-off on Wednesday 1 November, live on Sky Sports Football in the UK.
- Man Utd have won three of four previous meetings against Newcastle in the League Cup (W3, L1).
- Newcastle have lost each of their two League Cup trips to Man Utd at Old Trafford (L2).
- One of Newcastle’s two away defeats to Man Utd came at this stage in 1976 as they suffered a 7-2 loss.
- Man Utd have won three of their last four home matches against Premier League opposition in this competition (W3, L1).
- Excluding penalty shootouts, Newcastle are unbeaten in four of their last five away matches to top-flight rivals in this competition (W3, D1, L1).
After their humilating home loss in the Manchester derby where they failed to produce much quality of note except at the start and end of both halves, United simply need to regroup and deliver a reaction if want to avoid further questions being asked of Erik Ten Haag.
Newcastle meanwhile just have as many injury issues as Man Utd but rotation and fitness will be what get them through this period, especially after conceding twice at Wolves from in front which showed how fatigue is affecting them amidst clinical moments of quality.
Throw in the fact that this is a chance for the Magpies to extract revenge for their defeat in the Final last season, and I do expect them to be up for it but the first goal will be key because I can see Man Utd winning especially if Casemiro is back in the line-up.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-1 Newcastle