Winless Celtic welcome Atletico Madrid to Celtic Park in Group E of 2023-24 UEFA Champions League.
Victory could keep Atletico top of Group E depending upon results elsewhere, whilst Celtic could go third with a win if Feyenoord lose elsewhere.
Celtic could welcome Maik Nawrocki back into contention following his return from a hamstring injury.
Liel Abada (thigh), Stephen Welsh (ankle), Marco Tilio (unspecified) and James McCarthy (hamstring) remains absent.
Stefan Savic (pictured) is a doubt for Atletico Madrid after he missed their La Liga win at Celta Vigo due to illness.
Samuel Lino (knee) is a doubt but Jose Gimenez, Memphis Depay (both muscle), Reinildo Mandava (ACL) and Thomas Lemar (Achilles) remain absent.
When is Kick-Off?
Atletico Madrid host Celtic at Metropolitano Stadium in a 9pm CEST (8pm UK Time) kick-off on Wednesday 25 October, live on TNT Sport 3 in the UK.
- Celtic are winless in six previous meetings against Atletico Madrid in all UEFA competitions (D2, L4).
- Atletico Madrid are unbeaten in three previous visits to Celtic in all UEFA competitions (W2, D1).
- Atletico Madrid have kept two clean sheets in their three previous away trips to Celtic in all UEFA competitions.
- Lino has been booked in each of Atletico’s two group matches so far this campaign.
- Celtic have won none of their last six away matches in all UEFA competitions (D1, L5).
With just one defeat in all competitions this season, Atletico Madrid know that this game is theirs to lose because they just seem unbeaten and have won six games on the bounce, which is great momemtum coming into a game where their firepower should shine.
Celtic though seem to have rotten luck on the road in Europe compared to their imperious domestic form and despite hammering Hearts 4-1 on Sunday, they will have to again be clinical but most importantly resiliently defensive if want a result.
Brendan Rogers’ Hoops also know that victory is imperative if want to stand any chance of escaping the group beyond December, but I just can’t see them having enough quality needed to quieten Atletico in a tough ask.
Prediction: Celtic 0-2 Atletico Madrid
Result: Celtic 2-2 Atletico Madrid