Celtic host Lazio at Celtic Park in Group E of 2023-24 UEFA Champions League.
Victory would see either Celtic or Lazio go second if Feyenoord and Atletico Madrid draw elsewhere.
Gustaf Lagerbielke and Odin Thiago Holm are both suspended for Celtic after they were both red carded in their defeat at Feyenoord a fortnight ago.
Liel Abada (thigh), Stephen Welsh (ankle), Marco Tilio (unspecified), James McCarthy, Maik Nawrocki and Cameron Carter-Vickers (all hamstring) are sidelined.
Lazio have no fresh injury concerns to report following their 2-0 Serie A loss at AC Milan.
When is Kick-Off?
Celtic host Lazio at Celtic Park in a 8pm BST kick-off on Wednesday 4 October, live on TNT Sport 3 in the UK.
- This is Celtic’s first Champions League meeting against Lazio in all competitions.
- Lazio lost their only previous visit to Celtic in all UEFA competitions, which saw them suffer a 2-1 defeat in October 2019 in Europa League’s Group Stage that season.
- Each of Celtic’s two previous meetings against Lazio have ended in 2-1 wins for the Scottish team.
- Celtic are winless in their last four home matches in all UEFA competitions (D1, L3).
- Lazio have won just one of their last nine away matches across all UEFA competitions (W1, D3, L5).
Having suffered a ruthless 2-0 loss at Feyenoord a fortnight ago with nine men. Celtic now know that this is surely a must-win game especially with a double-header against Atletico Madrid coming up in their next two group games.
Brendan Rogers’ Hoops however must show more aggression in their end product because that is where they largely lost the game, on top of two defensive errors which they can’t afford to repeat here if want to realistically push for knockout qualification.
Lazio meanwhile are struggling for consistency and form this season plus hav a poor record against British clubs in European competitions, so another clinical display will be required if want at least one draw.
Neither team have impressive home or away form respectively in Europe across recent seasons so I do feel that this will be close, with the Celtic faithful potentially proving the difference.
Prediction: Celtic 2-1 Lazio
Result: Celtic 1-2 Lazio