Chippenham Town seek a huge giant slaying against League One’s Lincoln City at Hardenhuish Park in First Round of 2022-23 FA Cup.
Victory would see Chippenham qualify for the Second Round at the fourth time of asking, whilst Lincoln City are looking to avoid a First Round exit for a third consecutive season.
Chippenham Town could welcome the quartet of Spence Hamilton, Joe Hanks, Eddie Jones and Joe Parker back from illness.
Lincoln could again be without Daniel Mandriou as he continues to struggle to recover from a hamstring injury.
Teddy Bishop (hamstring) and Lewis Montsma (knee) remain absent as manager, Mark Kennedy considers making minimal changes from Tuesday’s 1-1 draw at home to Accrington Stanley.
- This is Chippenham Town’s first-ever meeting against Lincoln City in all competitions.
- Lincoln City are visiting Hardenhuish Park for the very first time across all competitions.
- Chippenham Town are looking to advance to the Second Round for the first time in this competition, having previously lost at this stage in three previous First Round appearances.
- Since regaining promotion to EFL in summer 2017, Lincoln City have exited at this First Round stage in two of last five seasons.
- Four of Chippen’s eight goals in the Qualifying Rounds were scored by Jordan Young and Joe Parker, who both scored twice apiece.
Since winning their Fourth Qualifying Round replay against Hendon, Chippenham are on a three-match losing streak but this is the FA Cup where form can go out of the window, which should provide the Bluebirds with belief that they can cause a cupset if they can defend well.
Chippenham will also buoyed by the return of familar faces following illness issues in recent weeks which is ideal timing, because they have the potential to cause issues as evidenced by their attacking form in the Qualifying rounds which will be vital to getting a result here.
Lincoln City meanwhile have endured an inconsistent league campaign so far yet have enjoyed largely positive results in two cup competitions, so I do expect them to take this game seriously because they know how to cause cupsets so will be eager to avoid being on the receiving end here.
The Imps also seem to like those tight battles in recent weeks judging by the closeness of their results but with Jack Diamond expected to lead the line, I can’t see a cupset brewing here although it could be tricky if Chippenham’s home crowd can create a fierce atmosphere.
Prediction: Chippenham Town 0-2 Lincoln City
Result: Chippenham Town 1-0 Lincoln City