FCSB welcome West Ham to Arena Nationala in their final clash in Group B of 2022-23 UEFA Europa Conference League.
FCSB are already eliminated so are just playing for pride, whilst West Ham are already through as Group B winners but are looking to advance without dropping any points in the group.
FCSB have no fresh injury concerns to report following last week’s 2-2 draw at Anderlecht but Lucian Cristea, Ionut Pantiru and Ovidiu Popescu all remain absent with unspecified injuries.
West Ham could be without Lukasz Fabianski after he was substituted with a knee injury at half-time in Sunday’s defeat at Man Utd, although Alphonse Areola has been West Ham’s Europa Conference League goalkeeper this season so Fabianski could be rested.
Lucas Paqueta (shoulder) and Maxwel Cornet (calf) are nearing returns but won’t be risked here unless match-fit.
- FCSB lost their only previous meeting against West Ham under their current guise, losing 3-1 in East London in September 2022.
- West Ham lost their only previous away trip to FCSB by 2-0 result in October 1999 in UEFA Cup, when the Romanian club were formerly known as Steaua Bucuresti at that time.
- FCSB have kept two clean sheets in three matches against West Ham, although both clean sheets came when they were known as Steaua Bucuresti.
- FCSB have failed to score in each of their two previous away matches in this group
- Gianluca Scamacca has scored in each of West Ham’s two previous away matches in this group.
With nothing to play for in this final group match, it will be interesting to see how FCSB approach this game tactics wise because their priorities surely now lie in their domestic league where they’re currently sixth and have a strong attack yet leaky defence.
West Ham meanwhile have taken several Academy players with them to Bucharest but will need to be more clinical than they were at Man Utd, where they were outplayed amidst solid defending but wasted their own chances so I want to see a stronger performance here.
This game though has a flat feeling to it in my opinion because neither team have anything to play for, but I fancy West Ham to edge this if they can sort out their end product issues.
Prediction: FCSB 0-1 West Ham
Result: FCSB 0-3 West Ham