Tottenham Hotspur welcome Sporting Lisbon to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in Group D of 2022-23 UEFA Champions League.
Victory will see Tottenham stay top and secure qualification for the knockout stage, although a win coupled with defeat for Marseille elsewhere would see Spurs advance as Group D winners with a match to spare.
Sporting Lisbon meanwhile will leapfrog Tottenham into the top two with a win although they can go top if Marseille fail to win elesewhere.
Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is a doubt for Tottenham after he sat out Sunday’s Premier League defeat against Newcastle with a thigh injury.
Cristian Romero (calf) also missed that game but is set to return if he is declared fit.
Richarlision (calf) and Dejan Kulusevski (muscle) remain absent.
Sporting Lisbon will be without Pedro Goncalves and Ricardo Esgaio after the pair were red carded in their defeat at home to Marseille a fortnight ago.
Jeremiah St Juste (muscle) is a doubt but Sebastian Coates (knock), Luis Neto and Daniel Braganca (both knee) are ruled out.
- Tottenham lost their only previous meeting against Sporting Lisbon, as they lost 2-0 away from home in September 2022.
- Sporting Lisbon are playing away to Tottenham for first time in all competitions.
- Spurs are unbeaten in five of six previous meetings against Portuguese opposition at home in all competitions (W5, L1).
- No Tottenham player has made more dribbles in the group than Son Heung-Min, who has managed 10 dribbles in four appearances.
- Both of Francisco Trincao’s goals for Sporting Lisbon in this group were scored on his left foot inside the box.
Following two consecutive defeats against Manchester United and Newcastle respectively, Tottenham now need to quickly rediscover their end product because they seem to still have the quality build-up in attacking moves but just miss that final touch.
Sporting Lisbon meanwhile looked to be cruising through this group after their opening two matches, but two defeats against Marseille have dented their qualification prospects so I do expect a solid response here, although Goncalves will be a big miss in midfield.
Tottenham though have been excellent at home this season with just one defeat in all competitions so I do anticipate a reaction, although Sporting has had five days rest ahead of this game so will possess the fitness advantage but Goncalves’ absence might be just too much for the visitors.
Prediction: Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Sporting Lisbon
Result: Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Sporting Lisbon