Red Bull Salzburg meet Chelsea at Red Bull Arena, Salzburg, Austria, in a top of Group E clash in 2022-23 UEFA Champions League.
Victory would put Salzburg top of Group E with one match left, whilst Chelsea can secure qualification for the knockout stages with a win.
Luka Sucic is a doubt for RB Salzburg after he was forced to miss their goalless draw against Sturm Graz with an adductor injury.
Justin Omoregie (hamstring), Fernando, Sekou Koita (both thigh), Ousman Diakite, Nicolas Capaldo (both knee) and Dijon Kameri (shoulder) are ruled out.
Chelsea could have Kalidou Koulibaly available after the defender missed their 1-1 draw against Manchester United on Saturday, due to a minor knee injury which he suffered last week in a goalless draw at Brentford.
Reece James, Wesley Fofana (both knee) and N’Golo Kante (hamstring) remain absent.
- Red Bull Salzburg drew 1-1 against Chelsea in their only previous meeting, which came at Stamford Bridge last month.
- Chelsea are playing away to Red Bull Salzburg for the first time in all UEFA competitions.
- Salzburg have failed to win any of three previous home matches against English opposition across all UEFA competitions (D1, L2).
- Noah Okafor has scored three of Salzburg’s four goals in this group, of which two of his three goals came after half-time.
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored in two of his three Champions League appearances for Chelsea since Graham Potter took charge.
Throughout this Group E campaign, Salzburg has proven to be a stubborn team to break down and I wouldn’t expect any change here, yet their injury list seems to compromise mainly of midfield and forward players which surely will be a concern in terms of their attacking tactics.
Chelsea meanwhile seem to have dropped their attacking quality in their last two matches with poor finishing in open play, which Salzburg surely will target if they can play deep and frustrate the Blues who seem to have hit their first rut under Potter’s reign.
Potter’s Blues though do have an open goal to go and attack this game given Salzburg’s injury issues in midfield and forward areas, so I do hope that they can take advantage but creativity will be needed if want to breach Salzburg’s defence in what could be a close contest.
Prediction: RB Salzburg 0-1 Chelsea
Result: RB Salzburg 1-2 Chelsea