Newcastle United welcome Everton to St James’ Park in a midweek Premier League encounter.
Victory will see Newcastle climb to fifth if Manchester United fail to win elsewhere, whereas Everton could move five points clear of the relegation zone with a win.
Fabian Schar is a doubt for Newcastle after suffering knocks in their goalless draw at Manchester United.
Allan Saint-Maximin (hamstring), Karl Darlow (ankle), Emil Krafth (knee), Matt Ritchie (calf) and Alexander Isak (muscle) remain absent.
Everton will welcome Anthony Gordon back into contention after he was suspended for Saturday’s defeat at Tottenham Hotspur.
Mason Holgate (knee) could also feature but Nathan Patterson, Yerry Mina (both ankle), Ben Godfrey (fibula) and Andros Townsend (knee) remain absent.
- Newcastle have lost just two of their last eight league meetings against Everton (W4, D2, L2).
- Everton have won three of their last six visits to St James’ Park (W3, L3).
- Both teams have scored in their last four meetings on Tyneside, with Newcastle scoring nine goals to Everton’s six goals across those four clashes.
- Schar has won more aerial duels than any other Newcastle player this season (24).
- Everton have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last six league games away from Goodison Park, during which they conceded 12 goals across those matches.
Although a goalless draw at Man Utd on Sunday might be seen as disappointing, Newcastle simply lacked the finishing touch despite excellent buildup play when on the attack, whilst their defence was solid with great backtracking if lucky at times with VAR.
Everton meanwhile played well in the first-half at Tottenham albeit aided by wasteful finishing from the hosts but their own end product was poor, which ultimately proved the difference as small errors coupled with clinical second-half effort from the hosts gave Spurs a deserved win.
Both teams therefore have work to do but if Newcastle can build upon the positives of their display at Utd with better finishing, I fancy them to edge this because they do seem to have strong momentum at present plus confidence.
Prediction: Newcastle 1-0 Everton
Result: Newcastle 1-0 Everton