Aston Villa look to climb out of the relegation zone as Steven Gerrard’s Villains host Manchester City at Villa Park.
Victory could lift Villa out of the relegation zone, whilst Man City can go top with victory because Arsenal don’t play until Sunday afternoon.
Villa could be without their new signing, Leander Dendoncker due to illness following his move from Wolves but he faces a late fitness test.
Loan signing, Jan Bednarek however is fit enough and could make his debut here.
Diego Carlos (Achilles) remains absent.
Man City could welcome Jack Grealish back after he missed their last three matches with a knee injury.
Nathan Ake (groin) and Kalvin Phillips (shoulder) could also be in contention, but Aymeric Laporte (knee) remains absent.
New signing, Manuel Akanji could make his debut for City.
- Villa are winless in their last 11 league meetings against Manchester City (D1, L10).
- Man City are unbeaten in seven of their last eight league visits to Villa Park (W6, D1, L1).
- City have scored eight of ten penalty kicks against Villa in 44 previous Premier League meetings.
- Douglas Luiz’s two goals for Villa in all competitions this season have directly come from corner kicks.
- Erling Haaland has been involved in 10 of City’s 19 league goals this season, in which he has scored nine goals and provided one assist.
With just one win from their opening five league matches, Villa really need to build on the positives of their midweek defeat at Arsenal where they were defensively strong against a ruthless Gunners attack, despite two defensive errors costing them.
It however is worth highlighting that one of those two mistakes came shortly after they had scored a brilliant equaliser, which is a concern because if they had refocused quicker, they could of snatched a point from that game if had defended better against Gabriel Martinelli’s winner for Arsenal.
Man City though should come here sniffing another dominant victory after comfortably dismantling Nottingham Forest in midweek at home, in a game where they were pretty much pitch perfect especially when defending in a change from recent defensive displays.
In fact, I can’t see Villa getting anything unless they’re absolutely spot on in their tactics and game execution, as this is surely City’s to lose.
Prediction: Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester City
Result: Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester City