Luton Town welcome Sheffield United to Kenilworth Road in Friday Night Football in 2022-23 Sky Bet Championship.
Victory would see Luton climb as high as fifth ahead of Saturday’s action, whereas a win would see Sheffield United stay top of the table no matter what happens elsewhere this weekend.
Henri Lansbury could return for Luton after he missed their last three matches with a knock.
Harry Cornick (unspecified), Dion Pereira and Carlos Mendes Gomes (both knock) are doubtful.
Alfie Doughty (hamstring), Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu (knee) and Fred Onyedinma (muscle) remain absent
Sheffield Utd will again be without Ciaran Clark after he missed their last three matches with a hamstring injury, although he is nearing a first-team return.
Adam Davies, Jack O’Connell, Jayden Bogle (all knee), Ben Osborn, Billy Sharp (both ankle) and Enda Stevens (calf) all remain absent.
- Luton are winless in their last five league meetings against Sheffield United (D2, L3).
- Sheffield United have won just one of their last five visits to Luton’s Kenilworth Road (W1, D2, L2).
- Luton have scored just once in their last five meetings against Sheffield Utd – in a 1-1 draw in April 2006 at Kenilworth Road.
- Luton are looking to avoid failing to score in three consecutive league matches at home for the first time since their return to the second-tier in 2019-20 season.
- John Fleck has been yellow-carded in each of Sheffield Utd’s two away league matches so far this season.
Having endured a slow start to the season, Luton finally seem to have found some form following a strong attacking effort in their win at Swansea last weekend, complete with better clinical intensity and defending which we saw in recent weeks.
Sheffield Utd meanwhile were just ruthlessly clinical in a competitive encounter against Blackburn with fantastic unity on and off the ball in their attacking play, on top of excellent defending which prevented Blackburn from having even one shot on target.
Kenilworth Road though has been a difficult away trip for Sheffield Utd in recent years but I feel like Luton will have to go on the counter-attack and defend well, simply because if the Blades roll up with another fierce performance then it is hard to see past an away win.
Prediction: Luton Town 0-2 Sheffield United
Result: Luton Town 1-1 Sheffield United