2021-22 FA Cup: First Round Roundup

(Image credit: The Non League Paper)

Roundup of the First Round action of 2021-22 FA Cup as several Non League teams looked to cause cupsets as this season’s competition properly got underway. 

From AFC Sudbury to Buxton to Horsham and numerous other Non League clubs, there were plenty of drama as several minnows looked to hit the headlines with giant killings whilst there were plenty of head-to-head clashes between EFL clubs to enjoy.

Now here is a full roundup of all the action across all 40 ties starting with Non League teams who took on EFL opposition.


Non League vs EFL

Embed from Getty Images

Shaun Jeffers’ 78th minute winner saw sixth-tier St Albans City stun League Two leaders – Forest Green Rovers 3-2 in the stand-out giant killing of the First Round.

Eighth-tier AFC Sudbury’s FA Cup run came to a shuddering halt at King’s Marsh in Friday Night Football as The Suds lost 4-0 to local rivals, Colchester United with Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu providing a goal and assist.

William Randall’s 18-yard strike saw Sutton avoid a cupset as the League Two club scraped past Hayes & Yeading to secure their place in the next round.

Second-half goals from Bradley Young and Zack Clough saw a struggling Carlisle United edge past seventh-tier Horsham at Brunton Park.

Goals from Ben Wiles, Freddie Ladapo and Will Grigg proved enough for League One’s Rotherham to dispatch Bromley at New York Stadium.

Marcus Harness’ 28th minute tap-in proved enough for Portsmouth to edge past Harrow Borough 1-0 at Fratton Park.

AFC Wimbledon got their first FA Cup victory at their new home venue of Plough Lane as Ollie Palmer’s 44th minute strike saw them scrape past Guiseley.

Late goals from Simon Power and Danilo Orsi saw Harrogate come from behind to avoid a cupset at home to National League’s Wrexham, who had taken a first half lead through Jordan Ponticelli.

Walsall survived a scrappy trip to King’s Lynn Town as Brendan Kiernan’s 15th minute tap-in from a deflected free-kick saw the League Two club scrape through.

Jayden Stockley’s brace in-between goals from Josh Davison and Mason Burstow saw Charlton avoid a shock home defeat, as the Addicks thrashed Havant & Waterlooville 4-0 at The Valley.

Sixth-tier Ebbsfleet United failed to cause a cupset as Aaron Drinan’s 24th minute strike from Shadrach Ogie’s through ball secured victory for Leyton Orient.

Max Sanders’ 66th minute tightly-angled strike saw 2016-17 Quarter Finalists, Lincoln City squeeze past Bowers & Pitsea at Sincil Bank, which denied the seventh-tier club a spot in the Second Round.

Offrande Zanzala provided a goal and two assists as League Two’s Barrow comfortably eased to a 4-0 away win at Banbury United.

Ryan Bowman’s brace helped Shrewsbury Town come from behind to thrash Stratford Town 5-1 at Knight’s Lane.

Ben Whitfield’s first-half injury-time equaliser saw National League’s Stockport County snatch a 2-2 draw at Bolton Wanderers to secure a home replay, where Scott Quigley netted twice as Stockport came from 3-1 down to emerge victorious 5-3 after extra-time in a dramatic thriller at Edgeley Park.

Kyle Wootton’s 62nd minute equaliser saw Notts County cancel out Corey O’Keeffe’s opener to snatch a 1-1 draw at Rochdale, which set up a replay at Meadow Lane won 2-1 by Rochdale with a 90th minute winner from Jake Beesley.

Jordan Turnbull’s 3rd minute winner saw Salford City narrowly avoid a cupset at National League’s Dagenham & Redbridge.

National League’s Solihull Moors held 2013 winners, Wigan to a shock goalless draw at the DW Stadium to secure a replay at Damson Park, where the Latics came from behind to avoid a cupset in a 2-1 extra-time victory.



(Image credit: Port Vale FC)

League Two’s Port Vale caused a shock as James Wilson’s hat-trick saw the Valiants thrash League One’s Accrington Stanley 5-1 at Vale Park.

Louis Reed’s brace helped League Two’s Swindon Town stun League One’s Crewe Alexandra 3-0 at Gresty Road to advance to the Second Round.

For the second consecutive season, Sunderland suffered a First Round exit at home to League Two’s Mansfield Town as Rhys Oates netted a fifth minute winner for the Stags.

Aaron Wildig’s first-touch winner saw Morecambe beat Newport County at the Globe Arena in their first meeting since the Shrimps’ victory over the Exiles in the League Two Play-Off Final last season.

Comeback goals from Joe Powell and Daniel Jebbison saw Burton Albion come from behind to beat Fleetwood Town, after the Highbury based team had taken a 12th minute lead through Joe Garner in the all League One encounter.

Max Watters’ 76th minute equaliser saw League One’s MK Dons force a 2-2 draw and replay against Stevenage after goals from Bradley Barry and Elliott List saw The Boro come from behind to briefly lead 2-1 but Stevenage won 2-1 in the replay after extra time against nine-men MK Dons after two red cards.

Joseph Jacobson’s 74th minute penalty rescued League One’s Wycombe Wanderers a comeback 2-2 draw at Hartlepool United of League Two, after the Pools had twice taken the lead through Mark Cullen and Luke Molyneux either side of Christian Forino-Joseph’s strike.

Hartlepool however managed to cause a cupset after Mark Cullen’s 20th minute strike proved enough to knock Wycombe out in the replay.

Matty Taylor provided a goal and assist as Oxford United found themselves twice pegged back as Bristol Rovers fought back for a 2-2 draw at the Kassam Stadium, before Rovers won 4-3 after extra time in a dramatic thriller with five goals scored after the regulatory 90 minutes.

Conor Masterson’s 66th minute equaliser saw League One’s Cambridge United twice fight from behind to snatch a 2-2 draw at Northampton Town and a home replay, which proved fruitful as The Us won 3-1 to avoid a shock cupset.

Callum McMananam’s 38th minute goal saw Tranmere beat Crawley Town in an all League Two encounter at Broadfield Stadium.

Davis Keillor-Dunn’s equaliser saw Oldham hold Ipswich to a 1-1 draw away at Portman Road after Wesley Burns had put The Tractor Boys ahead in the 8th minute, although the Latics lost the replay at Boundary Park 2-1 as Ipswich came from behind to secure their place in the Second Round.

Samuel Nombe cancelled out Theo Robinson’s opener as Exeter City came from behind to settle for a 1-1 draw at Bradford City and a home replay at St James’ Park, where Matty Jay’s brace helped Exeter to a 3-0 win after extra time but a sixth Exeter substitute voided this replay result.

Exeter however went on to win the rearranged replay 2-1 through comeback goals from Tim Dieng and George Ray, after Lee Angol had put Bradford ahead having originally been red carded in the voided replay.

Gerald Sithole cancelled out Mattie Pollock’s opener as Gillingham snatched a 1-1 draw at home to Cheltenham Town, although it was Pollock who struck the only goal as Cheltenham scraped a 1-0 home win in the replay.

Ryan Loft’s 38th minute own goal handed Doncaster a narrow win over League Two’ Scunthorpe United who were playing under Keith Hill for the first time, following his appointment as manager after Neil Cox’s sacking last week.

Sheffield Wednesday found themselves held to a goalless home draw against Plymouth Argyle but ultimately crashed out 3-0 in the replay at Home Park, as Jordan Garrick struck twice for Argyle who advance to the Second Round.


Non League vs Non League

(Image credit: Richard Parkes)

Diego Di Girolamo’s 85th minute left-footed strike saw seventh-tier Buxton stun York City 1-0 at York Community Stadium to move to within one round of equalising their all-time best FA Cup performance set in 1951-52 season, which saw them reach the Third Round that campaign.

Late goals from Marcus Dinanga and Jake Moult saw Altrincham clinch a 2-2 draw at Gateshead to force a replay at Moss Lane, having fought back from two goals down after the North-East club had gone ahead through Adam Campbell and Greg Olley.

Macaulay Langstaff eventually proved the hero for Gateshead who prevailed 3-2 in the replay at Altrincham, as Langstaff completed his brace with an injury-time winner.

Ashley Hemmings’ 72nd minute penalty saw sixth-tier Kidderminster Harriers stun National League’s Grimsby Town to reach the next round.

Scott Boden’s brace saw Boreham Wood beat Eastleigh in an all National League tie at Meadow Park to advance to the next round.

Dale Gorman provided a 29th minute penalty and two assists as Yeovil Town comfortably avoided a cupset at seventh-tier Yate Town with a 5-0 away victory.

Braces from Josh Kelly and Emile Acquah couldn’t prevent Maidenhead United suffering a dramatic 7-4 beating away at Halifax in a 11 goal thriller.

Chesterfield came from behind to defeat Southend United 3-1 in a match which saw both National League teams finish with ten men, as Calvin Miller and Zak Brunt were both red carded in injury-time.

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. Non League’s Buxton Draw Morecambe in Second Round of 2021-22 FA Cup – Sport Grill

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.