Everton welcome West Ham to Goodison Park in this weekend’s opening Super Sunday clash as two teams looking to challenge for a top four finish collide on Merseyside.
Victory could put Everton up to fourth in the standings, whereas West Ham could leapfrog their hosts with a win and climb as high as fifth.
Lucas Digne is set to be in contention for Everton after recovering from a hamstring injury picked up on international duty for France.
Seamus Coleman (hamstring) and Yerry Mina (fitness) are also expected to be available for selection.
Alex Iwobi (knock), Andre Gomes (calf), Fabian Delph (shoulder), Richarlison (knee) and Dominic Calvert-Lewin (muscle) remain absent.
West Ham could be without Vladimir Coufal and Ryan Fredericks as the pair face late fitness tests on groin injuries.
- Everton have lost just one of their last five league meetings against West Ham (W3, D1, L1).
- West Ham have won two of their last five league visits to Goodison Park (W2, L3).
- Everton haven’t drawn at home to West Ham in their last nine league meetings (W6, L3), since playing out a 2-2 draw in January 2011.
- Everton wingers – Demarai Gray and Andros Townsend have scored six of the Toffees’ 13 league goals between them , with both players netting three goals apiece.
- One of Said Benrahma’s three league goals for West Ham so far this season has come from a header.
Having dug deep to snatch a draw at Manchester United before the international break with excellent counter-attacking and confidence both on and off ball, Everton should definitely be able to really show more attacking intent here because they are facing similar level opposition.
West Ham meanwhile just struggled last time out against an intense energetically pressing display from Brentford, although they did well to establish control in second half but poor defending and wasted chances proved costly in the end.
I though do have a feeling that this should be a closely fought contest given the quality of both teams but given that Everton remain without Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin, I feel that West Ham could have just enough in attack to edge this battle.
Prediction: Everton 1-2 West Ham
Result: Everton 0-1 West Ham