Steve Bruce Confirmed as Newcastle Manager For Clash Against Tottenham

Newcastle United have confirmed that Steve Bruce will take charge of his 1000th match as manager against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

During the international break, Mike Ashley sold Newcastle to a Saudi Arabia led consortium led by Amanda Staveley in a £300m takeover deal, sparking rumours that Bruce would be sacked this week.

Staveley has since spent the last week analysing the club’s current position across not just the squad but stadium and training facilities too and has now provided an official update on the consortium’s plans.

One particular decision includes the decision to retain Bruce as manager for Sunday’s (17 October) match against Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League.

Explaining the decision to retain Bruce for Sunday’s game at minimum, Staveley issued the following statement: “We met Steve and the players on Monday and have given them the time and space this week to focus on preparing for what is a very important game on Sunday.

“Steve has been very professional in our dealings with him and he and his coaching team will take the team on Sunday. If we make any changes going forward, Steve will be the first to know but, in the meantime, we wish him the best of luck in his 1,000th match as a manager and will be joining you in getting right behind the team.”

Staveley also spoke about the requirement for patience from fans as the consortium prepares to implement changes in coming months and years, as she said: “We have had an extremely busy week reviewing the business and getting to know people and it is imperative that we continue to be patient and considered in our approach.

“Change does not always happen overnight, it demands time and that we follow a carefully considered plan and strategy.”

Bruce meanwhile is keen for fans and players to ignore his grand occasion as he prepares for his 1000th match as a manager, saying: “I keep saying take me out of the equation – 1,000 games doesn’t happen to many – but it really isn’t about that,” as he previewed the clash against Spurs.

The 60 year-old also iterated that the players know what is expected of them on Sunday as the Magpies seek their first win of the season, adding: “Can we go in and put in a performance? As I’ve said many times now, the players have trained really well. They know what Sunday is going to be. That’s the most important thing.

“I think we’ve been close many, many times this season but haven’t been able to get over the line, so let’s hope we can put on a performance that gets us our first three points.”

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. Steve Bruce Confirmed as Newcastle Manager For Clash Against Tottenham - Arab News

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.