Juventus welcome Chelsea to Juventus Stadium in Turin, Italy in a blockbuster Group H clash in 2021-22 UEFA Champions League Group Stage.
Having both taken victory in the opening round of Group H matches a fortnight ago, victory for either team will put them top of the group although a draw would see both teams remain in the top two.
Paulo Dybala is sidelined for Juventus after suffering a muscle injury during Sunday’s 3-2 win over Sampdoria.
Kaio Jorge (thigh), Arthur (knee) and Alvaro Morata (hamstring) are ruled out of this match.
Chelsea could be without Jorginho after the Italian midfielder suffered a knock in Saturday’s defeat against Manchester City.
Mason Mount is also a doubt after sitting out Saturday’s loss with a knock suffered in last week’s Carabao Cup win over Aston Villa.
Reece James (ankle) is ruled out but Christian Pulisic could return after missing the last month with his own ankle injury.
- Juventus have won one of their four previous Champions League matches against Chelsea (W1, D2, L1).
- Chelsea are winless in two previous visits to Juventus (D1, L1).
- Two of four previous meetings in this fixture has finished in 2-2 draws – with Juventus holding Chelsea in Turin in March 2009 and Chelsea likewise at Stamford Bridge in September 2012.
- Juventus have lost just one of their last five home matches in Champions League against English opposition (W2, D2, L1).
- Chelsea lost 3-0 on their last visit to Juventus in November 2012 as defending champions in this competition, which ultimately saw the Blues exit at the Group Stage that season.
Having enjoyed just one clean sheet this season and languishing 10th in Serie A, Juventus definitely face a difficult test here because they do score goals, yet just can’t manage to keep clean sheets which is a huge worry especially with Euro 2020 winners – Giorgio Chiellini and Leonard Bonucci in their defence.
Chelsea will be disappointed with Saturday’s domestic defeat because they defended well throughout yet a momentary mistake proved costly, whilst they simply weren’t clinical enough up front so I do expect some changes here especially if Mount is available for selection.
Now if Chelsea can correct their uncharacteristic errors from Saturday and put pressure on Juventus’ ageing defence by getting on the front foot and dictating this match, I do fancy them to get the win although they will need to be wary of Alvaro Morata who is Juventus’ only major threat with Dybala now absent.
Prediction: Juventus 1-2 Chelsea
Result: Juventus 1-0 Chelsea