Tottenham Hotspur welcome Chelsea to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in a blockbuster Super Sunday London derby.
Tottenham could leapfrog Chelsea with a win and go as high as second, whereas Chelsea could go top with a huge win.
Japhet Tanganga is suspended for Tottenham after his red card in a 3-0 defeat at Crystal Palace last weekend.
Cristian Romeo, Giovani Lo Celso and Davinson Sanchez (all fitness), Son Heung-min (calf), Eric Dier (leg) and Ryan Sessegnon (knock) are all considered doubts but will be subjected to late fitness tests.
Lucas Moura and Steven Bergwijn both limped out of Thursday’s Europa Conference League draw at Rennes with ankle injuries, leaving both players as doubts amidst a congested fixture schedule.
Chelsea could welcome N’Golo Kante back from an ankle injury which kept him out of their last two matches and forced him to miss this month’s international fixtures for France.
Christian Pulisic remains absent with an ankle injury and won’t be risked until he passes medical checks and is deemed match fit.
- Tottenham have claimed just one point from their last five league meetings against Chelsea (D1, L4).
- Chelsea have won three of their last five league visits to Tottenham (W3, L2).
- Two of Chelsea’s last three away goals in this fixture has been scored from the penalty spot – Willian in December 2019 and Jorginho in February 2021.
- Two of Tottenham’s five through balls in four Premier League matches have been provided by Lucas Moura.
- Two of Timo Werner’s three league appearances for Chelsea this season have come from the bench.
After turning out a lacklustre effort at Crystal Palace with a shambolic defensive display, Tottenham face a uphill task here if they’re to get their title challenge back on especially after Thursday’s scrappy draw in Rennes.
Nuno Espirito Santo though should be concerned about his injury list because if Son, Moura and Bergwijn are ruled out, he will likely need to think carefully about his tactics because he cannot afford further injuries to key senior players in midfield and attack.
Chelsea meanwhile dug deep to edge out a gutsy Zenit in midweek but come into this game in good form, although they did often have to defend in last Saturday’s league win over Aston Villa yet were clinical enough to get a huge result.
In fact, I have Chelsea as favourites because Tottenham do look vulnerable at present and if they are without key players, I can see a comfortable away win coming here.
Prediction: Tottenham 0-2 Chelsea
Result: Tottenham 0-3 Chelsea