Manchester City welcome Brighton & Hove Albion to the Etihad Stadium in a key clash at both ends of the Premier League.
Victory could temporarily at least put City third whilst Brighton can climb above Burnley into 16th if can take a shock win.
Sergio Aguero is ruled out for Man City due to having to self-isolate following contact with someone who tested positive for Coronavirus.
Aymeric Laporte (thigh) plus Nathan Ake (muscle) remains sidelined, whilst Scott Carson, Adrian Garcia, Cole Palmer, Eric Garcia, Tommy Doyle and Ferran Torres continue to self-isolate after positive tests.
Raheem Sterling is available for selection after recovering from a muscle injury.
Brighton could welcome Steven Alzate and Adam Lallana back from illness which forced the midfielders to miss Sunday’s FA Cup win at Newport County.
Alireza Jahanbakhsh (knock) is a doubt and could join Yves Bissouma (suspension), Tariq Lamptey (hamstring), Aaron Connolly (groin), Jose Izquierdo (thigh), Florian Andone and Danny Welbeck (both knee) on the sidelines.
- Man City are yet to fail to beat Brighton in the Premier League (W6).
- Brighton have failed to win any of their last ten trips to Man City (D2, L8).
- City’s Sergio Aguero netted three goals in two previous home starts against Brighton in Premier League.
- Brighton are yet to score a league goal on the counter attack this season.
- No City player has lost more aerial battles this season in the Premier League than Gabriel Jesus, who lost 16 aerial fights in seven appearances.
Man City have finally begun to find some form this last month but have had to soak up pressure in two of their four games in 2021 so far, although if they can deliver an attacking display as saw on Sunday against Birmingham City then Brighton have a long 90 minutes ahead.
Graham Potter’s Seagulls however went the distance at Newport on Sunday evening so fitness will definitely be a factor, even though they have shown impressive attacking energy in recent games but I just can’t see them getting anything here given that City are their hoodoo club.
Prediction: Manchester City 2-0 Brighton
Result: Manchester City 1-0 Brighton