After making a strong start to life in Group H of 2020-21 UEFA Champions League Group Stage, Manchester United face another tricky test as they host RB Leipzig at Old Trafford.
Victory will ensure that Manchester United go top whilst Leipzig can open a gap at the summit with a win, although a draw would keep both teams in the knockout qualification spots.
Man Utd have no fresh injury concerns as Anthony Martial is expected to start despite continuing to serve a three domestic match ban across in the Premier League.
Eric Bailey (muscle), Phil Jones (knee) and Jesse Lingard (hip) remain absent.
RB Leipzig are expected to be without Tyler Adams, Lukas Klostermann and Konrad Laimer due to knee injuries.
Nordi Mukiele (unspecified) is also expected to miss out.
- This is Manchester United’s first-ever meeting with RB Leipzig in all competitions.
- Man Utd are unbeaten in four of their last six meetings against German opposition in all European competitions (W3, D1, L2), with two of those wins coming at Old Trafford (W2, D1).
- Leipzig have won both of their two previous meetings against English opposition, which came in home and victories over Tottenham at Round of 16 stage of last season’s Champions League with clean sheets in both matches (W2).
- All four of Bruno Fernandes’ European goals for Man Utd have come from the penalty spot, with three of those four goals coming in each of his last three appearances in all European competitions.
- Angelino’s brace last week against Istanbul Basaksehir marked the second consecutive season in which Leipzig scored a brace in their opening Champions League Group match, after Timo Werner struck a brace to defeat Benfica in their opening match of this stage last season.
Man Utd come into this match unbeaten in their last three matches although they were untypically poor at finishing easy chances against Chelsea on Saturday despite carving the Blues open with pace and varied passing which is something which RB Leipzig will be wary of given the Red Devils’ winless home form this season.
Leipzig however do possess a strong attacking 4-4-2 game which can often trouble their opponents so United will need to be wary at the back because if the likes of Yussuf Poulsen and Emil Forsberg can get in amongst their defenders, this could be another difficult home match.
Goals therefore look a certainty given the quality of both teams and Man Utd will definitely be wanting to avoid creating a goal drought after Saturday’s performance, so expect a close match but I am going for a score draw.
Prediction: Manchester United 1-1 RB Leipzig
Result: Manchester United 5-0 RB Leipzig