Manchester United face another tough test as they welcome Chelsea to Old Trafford in a blockbuster Premier League clash.
Victory can take Man Utd as high as sixth depending on results earlier in weekend, whereas Chelsea could go third with a win given that teams immediately above them don’t play until Sunday with exception of Liverpool who play on Saturday evening.
Edinson Cavani could be set for his Man Utd debut after joining on Deadline Day on a free transfer following his exit from PSG this summer.
Mason Greenwood (fitness) and Harry Maguire (muscle) could also feature but Anthony Martial (suspension), Jesse Lingard (hip), Eric Bailly (hamstring),and Phil Jones (knee) are ruled out.
Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard has a near full squad available but Kepa Arrizabalaga is ruled out with a shoulder injury, joining Billy Gilmour (knee) on sidelines.
- Man Utd have lost one of their last seven meetings against Chelsea in all competitions (W4, D2, L1).
- Chelsea have failed to win in any of their last seven trips to Old Trafford (D4, L3).
- Man Utd have kept clean sheets in three of their last five home clashes against Chelsea.
- Coming into this weekend, no Premier League player has made more interceptions than Chelsea’s N’Golo Kante with 17 interceptions.
- Donny van de Beek has come on as a substitute in all four of Man Utd’s matches so far.
Man Utd should come into this game high on confidence after two huge wins over Newcastle and PSG in the last week but defending has been a huge issue, particularly at home with nine goals shifted in two home games already which gives Chelsea hope here.
Lampard’s Blues however can’t boast of a stronger defence after some sloppy defensive showings, especially against Southampton last weekend despite holding Sevilla to a goalless draw in midweek.
Defending therefore will be a huge factor in the result but I can see goals here even if Chelsea have struggled at Old Trafford lately, although a score draw would be a decent result for both teams.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-2 Chelsea
Result: Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea