Manchester United face Copenhagen in the opening Quarter-Final of this season’s Europa League at the RheinEngergieStadion in Cologne.
Man Utd are looking to reach their 18th semi-final in all UEFA competitions, whereas Copenhagen are making their first Quarter-Final appearance in any UEFA competition.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Diogo Dalot is available for Manchester United after missing their comeback victory over LASK on Wednesday with an unspecified injury.
Axel Tuanzebe (unspecified), Luke Shaw (ankle) and Phil Jones (knee) remain on the sidelines in having not travelled to Germany for this Quarter-Final, plus possibly semi-final and grand final if Utd can progress beyond this stage.
Copenhagen are without several first-team players as Nicolaj Thomsen, Ragnar Sigurdsson and Viktor Fischer (groin) are amongst those sidelined.
Michael Santos is suspended whilst Dame N’Doye has left on a free transfer.
- Man Utd have won just one of two previous meetings against Copenhagen (W1, L1), with both meetings coming in Group Stage of 2006-07 Champions League.
- Copenhagen have won just one of their last eight meetings against English opposition in all competitions (W1, D3, L4).
- This is the first time that Copenhagen have reached the Quarter-Finals of any UEFA competition.
- Copenhagen have kept just three clean sheets in 12 Europa League games this season.
- Jesse Lingard has scored in two consecutive games for Man Utd in all competitions for the first time since December 2018 when he netted against Liverpool and Cardiff.
Man Utd surprisingly were sluggish on Wednesday against LASK who looked much sharper and penetrated their defence quite easily, which does offer Copenhagen hope if they turn up at their clinical best.
In fact if it hadn’t of been for Sergio Romero’s excellent goalkeeping, United could of easily conceded more than one goal although they were clinical themselves when got their chances despite fielding a weaker starting lineup.
Copenhagen meanwhile are the underdogs with no expectations on them coming into this match, despite having a confidence boost from their comeback win over Istanbul Basaksehir in midweek.
I therefore feel that United need to be on top form because Copenhagen do possess the quality needed to drive forward into gaps and create chances, which will likely ask questions of Utd’s defence but I can a tight result here in Man U’s favour.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-1 Copenhagen
Result: Manchester United 1-0 Copenhagen (After Extra Time)