Inter Milan meet Bayer Leverkusen in the Quarter-Finals of this season’s Europa League at Merkur Spiel-Arena in Dusseldorf.
Inter are looking to move closer towards ending a nine year trophy drought, whereas Leverkusen will be keen to end their 27 year wait for a title since winning DFB Pokal in 1993.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Matias Vecino is ruled out for Inter Milan with a knee injury.
Gabriel Brazao, Valentino Lazaro and Joao Mario are ineligible after spending the regular season out on loan around Europe, whilst Achraf Hakimi and Georgios Vagiannidis are also absent after signing for the club this summer.
Bayer will be without Charles Aranguiz who is suspended for this tie after picking up his third European yellow card of the season against Rangers on Thursday.
Paulinho (knee) plus Nadiem Amiri (self-isolation) are also ruled out.
- This is the first Europa League meeting between Inter Milan and Bayer Leverkusen.
- Inter Milan have beaten Leverkusen in two previous UEFA meetings, which came in Group Stage of 2002-03 Champions League season.
- Romelu Lukaku has scored in all three of Inter Milan’s Europa League games since the Italian team joined this competition in the Round of 32.
- Leverkusen have kept just one clean sheet in their four Europa League games so far this campaign.
- Both teams have collected a combined total of nine yellow cards across seven Europa League games since dropping into this competition in February, with Leverkusen collecting seven yellow cards to Inter’s two.
Inter have to raise their game here because they looked unstable defensively against Getafe, despite digging in for not just the win but a clean sheet too whereas Bayer will be up for this clash after their dominant performance against Rangers.
This therefore should be a good battle but if Inter’s defence doesn’t turn up and deliver whilst taking their chances on the attack, I can see just one result coming here and it won’t be a happy Italian outcome.
Prediction: Inter Milan 1-2 Bayer Leverkusen
Result: Inter Milan 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen