Newcastle United look to end a three match winless run as they welcome Tottenham Hotspur to St James’ Park.
A win could send Newcastle up to 11th before Everton and Southampton play on Thursday, whilst Tottenham could climb as high as sixth with victory until Sheffield United visit Leicester on Thursday evening.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Jamaal Lascelles is a doubt for Newcastle after suffering an ankle injury at Watford, whilst Allan Saint-Maximin could also miss out with a knock.
Isaac Hayden, Sean Longstaff (both hamstring), Ciaran Clark (ankle), Danny Rose (ineligibility), Andy Carroll (groin), Florian Lejeune (fitness),
Tottenham could be without Serge Aurier for personal reasons, following his brother’s premature death in France.
Dele Alli (hamstring) and Tanguy Ndombele (unspecified) are also expected to be sidelined, if the pair fail late fitness tests.
- This is the 50th Premier League meeting between Newcastle and Tottenham, with the Magpies winning 22 of those clashes (W22, D6, L21).
- Newcastle have won just one of their last five meetings against Tottenham (W1, L4).
- Tottenham have lost just one of their last five visits to St James’ Park (W4, L1).
- Spurs have scored twice in their last two away trips to Newcastle, with Dele Alli scoring on both occasions.
- Both teams have received five red cards each in 49 Premier League meetings.
Momentum hasn’t really seemed to be a thing for Newcastle in recent seasons except in winter, because they have been incredibly inconsistent whereas Tottenham simply have to win to realistically keep their top six hopes alive.
Spurs’ form however been fairly poor in their recent away trips so this is a huge chance for Newcastle to hit back after two sloppy defeats, although their defence isn’t exactly the most reliable so first goal will be key.
If the Magpies get it then they should look to get a point out of this but if Spurs turn up and get an early goal, this should be a routine away win.
Prediction: Newcastle United 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur
Result: Newcastle United 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur