Southampton face a tough test as they welcome Manchester City to St Mary’s in the closing Super Sunday match, being broadcast live on BBC1.
Southampton could climb to 12th with victory depending if Newcastle lose earlier in day, whilst City look to restore their 11 point gap to third-placed Leicester.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Southampton have no fresh injury concerns to report as Sofiane Boufal (thigh), Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (ankle) and Jannik Vestergaard (muscle) are sidelined until next weekend.
Yan Valery and Nathan Tella are out with respective knock and undisclosed injury.
Man City have no fresh injury concerns as Sergio Aguero remains their only absentee with a knee injury.
- Southampton are winless in last eight meetings against Manchester City in all competitions (D1, L7).
- Man City have lost just one of their last five trips to St Mary’s Stadium (W4, L1).
- Sergio Aguero scored three goals in two appearances for Man City against Southampton in all competitions this season.
- James Ward-Prowse has scored both of Southampton’s free-kicks this season.
- None of Man City’s players have played the full 2,880 minutes of Premier League action this season.
Southampton are going to have to bring their A game because if they are even slightly off par, this could easily become a runaway Man City win given how strong the Citizens have been in recent weeks.
I however do hope that the Saints can play a tight attacking game and continue their recent improvements because if they opt for a defensive setup, there will be one winner with a comfortable result.
Prediction: Southampton 0-3 Manchester City
Result: Southampton 1-0 Manchester City