Manchester United welcome Sheffield United to Old Trafford in a massive clash, as both clubs look to snatch a potential Champions League spot for next season.
A win for Man Utd would move them to within two points of fourth placed Chelsea, whilst Chris Wilder’s Blades can leapfrog Man U into fifth with victory coupled with defeat for Wolves against Bournemouth.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Victor Lindelöf is expected to be available for Man Utd despite being subbed late on in Friday’s 1-1 draw at Tottenham with a knock.
Axel Tuanzebe and Phil Jones remain ruled out with knocks.
Sheffield Utd will be without loanee, Dean Henderson who is ineligible to face his parent club.
John Egan is also sidelined as he serves an one match ban after being sent off in Sunday’s defeat at Newcastle.
David McGoldrick, Jack O’ Connell (both knee) and Phil Jagielka (ankle) all face late fitness tests.
- Manchester United are unbeaten in their last eight matches against Sheffield United across all competitions (W7, D1).
- November’s 3-3 draw at Bramall Lane marked the first time that Sheffield United had scored three goals against Man Utd since April 1966.
- Man Utd have conceded against the Blades just once in three previous Premier League meetings at Old Trafford, whilst scoring seven goals themselves.
- Sheffield Utd are yet to score from a free-kick in the Premier League this season.
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka is the only Man Utd player to have conceded a penalty this season.
After Sunday’s uncharacteristic performance at Newcastle, this is now a must-win match for Sheffield Utd if they want a shot at fifth place throughout remainder of this season.
Man Utd however weren’t clinical enough at Spurs in the same way that the Blades wasted their shots on Tyneside, so I expect to see two teams going for it like they did in the reverse leg in November.
Old Trafford however hasn’t been a happy hunting ground for the Blades in recent decades, so if the Red Devils can get on the front foot then I can see a home win and Sheffield Utd’s top five dreams realistically over.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-0 Sheffield United
Result: Manchester United 3-0 Sheffield United