Ajax meet Brighton at Johan Cruyff Arena in a must-win Group B match in 2023-24 UEFA Europa League.
Victory would put Ajax up to second if AEK Athens lose to Marseille in the late kick-off, whilst Brighton can go second with a win and the same outcome elsewhere – although a draw between Athens and Marseille could see the Seagulls go top.
Amourricho van Axel is ruled out for Ajax with a knock.
Jay Gorter (unspecified), Sivert Mannsverk (foot) and Geronimo Rulli (shoulder) are sidelined.
Brighton have no fresh injury concerns to report after their 1-1 draw at Everton last weekend.
Pervis Estupinan, Danny Welbeck (both muscle), Solly March, Julio Enciso and Jakub Moder (all knee) remain absent.
When is Kick-Off?
Ajax host Brighton at Johan Cruyff Arena at 6:45pm CET (5:45pm UK Time) on Thursday 9 November, live on TNT Sport 2 in the UK.
- Ajax lost their only previous meeting against Brighton by a 2-0 result in October 2023.
- Brighton are visiting Ajax at Johan Cruyff Arena for the first time in their history.
- Ajax have scored first in two of their three Group B matches, only failing to do so in their defeat at Brighton.
- Joao Pedro has scored four goals in three appearances for Brighton in this competition.
- Chuba Akpom has scored three goals in his last two appearances at home for Ajax in all competitions.
After their worst run of forms in years, Ajax seem to have found fresh wind in the last week with two wins in which Steven Bergwijn and Chuba Akpom both scored, but Brighton will surely provide a tough test of whether their improvement is genuine or not.
Roberto De Zerbi’s Seagulls though must show more consistency in their attack because they look lacklustre in the first half at Everton amidst a sloppy conceded goal, yet were more like their usual energetic self after half-time which is what they will need to be here if want to win.
This clash therefore should be more competitive than their meeting a fortnight ago where Brighton looked comfortable, but I can see Ajax somehow finding a draw out of this if want to keep their knockout hopes alive although Brighton should have at least one goal in them.
Prediction: Ajax 1-1 Brighton
Result: Ajax 0-2 Brighton