Newcastle United host Borussia Dortmund at St James’ Park in Group F in 2023-24 UEFA Champions League.
Victory would see Newcastle stay top whilst Dortmund can move off the foot of Group F with a win.
Sandro Tonali is a major doubt for Newcastle as he awaits a verdict in an Italian betting investigation.
Sven Botman (knee), Joe Willock (hamstring/Achilles), Lewis Miley (illness) and Harvey Barnes (foot) remain absent.
Borussia Dortmund have no fresh injury concerns to report after their Bundesliga win over Werder Bremen.
Thomas Meunier and Antonios Papadopoulos are ineligble after they were left out of Borussia Dortmund’s Champions League squad.
Youssoufa Moukoko, Julien Duranville (both thigh) and Mateu Morey (knee) are sidelined.
When is Kick-Off?
Newcastle host Borussia Dortmund at St James Park on Wednesday 25 October in a 8pm BST kick-off, live on TNT Sport 2 in the UK.
- This is Newcastle’s first competitive meeting against Borussia Dortmund in all UEFA competitions.
- Borussia Dortmund are playing away to Newcastle for the first time in any UEFA competition.
- Newcastle are unbeaten in three previous maiden meetings against a German club (W2, D1), and have won each of their two previous home matches against German opposition (W2).
- Newcastle have converted 9 out of 18 shots onto target in their opening two group matches.
- Dortmund have failed to score in each of their two matches in this group camapign.
Unbeaten in eight matches in all competitions and just one goal conceded in their last five home games, Newcastle definitely just need to continue playing with the same intensity and quality which breezed Crystal Palace apart last weekend.
Borussia Dortmund meanwhile are searching for their first goal in this group but shouldn’t be underestimated given their European pedigree and quality players like Marco Reus and Julian Brandt, whilst they have lost just once in all competitions this season.
Now if both teams bring their best then I can see a tough but entertaining battle yet Newcastle’s electric home crowd proved key in motivating the players in their demolition of PSG, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they prove the difference once more.
Prediction: Newcastle United 2-1 Borussia Dortmund
Result: Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund