Group B winners, England meet Senegal in a tricky Round of 16 clash at Al Bayt Stadium in the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Victory would see England or Senegal meet the winner of France’s Round of 16 tie against Poland in the Quarter-Finals.
Ben White is ruled out for England after he withdrew from the squad for personal reasons, having missed their victory over Wales due to illness.
Manager, Gareth Southgate though has tough selection decisions to make after Marcus Rashford and Phil Foden impressed against Wales.
Senegal will be without Idrissa Gueye who is suspended for this match, after the midfielder picked up his second booking of the tournament in their win over Ecuador.
Cheikhou Kouyate is absent after he missed their last two matches with an ankle injury.
- This is England’s first-ever meeting against Senegal in all competitions.
- Senegal are facing a team from the British Isles for the very first time in all competitions.
- England are unbeaten in nine previous meetings against CAF teams this century in all competitions (W5, D4).
- All three of Marcus Rashford’s goals for England in this World Cup have been scored after half-time.
- Senegal have kept just one clean sheet in their last eight matches in all competitions (W3, D3, L2).
Having demonstrated both how fantastic and bad they can be during the group stage, England now need to be consistently excellent from here on in because they have the quality and depth to go deep if they can play with the dominance and aggression as seen against Iran and Wales.
Should they however turn up and play the sluggish lacklustre football as seen against USA, I really wouldn’t be surprised if they lose this rather comfortably because Senegal aren’t a team to be underestimated especially coming into a maiden meeting between both teams.
Senegal though do contain familar faces like Chelsea’s Edouard Mendy and Kalidiou Koulibaly who will of faced several England players already at club-level this season, which could help bring extra experience to help those who play their club football elsewhere.
Senegal’s wide-attacking front-footed style will also pose a tough challenge for England defensively but if the Three Lions can quickly seize control and dictate the tempo throughout, I can see them getting victory but this won’t be an easy game.
Prediction: England 2-1 Senegal
Result: England 3-0 Senegal