Netherlands meet USA at Khalifa International Stadium in the opening tie of the Round of 16 stage at 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Victory would see Netherlands or USA meet the winner of Argentina’s clash against Australia in the Quarter-Finals.
Jeremie Frimpong is a major doubt for Netherlands after he suffered an ankle injury in training this week.
Manager, Louis Van Gaal meanwhile could make tactical changes as Teun Koopmeiners and Steven Bergwijn look for recalls to the starting line-up.
USA could have Christian Pulisic available despite the midfielder suffering a pelvic injury in their win over Iran on Tuesday.
- This is Netherlands’ first competitive clash against USA at a major tournament.
- USA have won just one of five previous meetings against the Netherlands, which all came in friendly fixtures (W1, L4).
- This is the first meeting between Netherlands and USA to be played on neutral territory, with the Dutch winning two of three previous meetings when played as the ‘home team’ (W2, L1).
- Cody Gakpo has scored in all three of Netherlands’ World Cup matches so far this tournament.
- USA’s two goals in Group B were both scored before half-time, courtesy of Timothy Weah vs Wales and Christian Pulisic vs Iran respectively.
Despite producing three clinical performances to top Group A, Netherlands haven’t really set the stage alight despite their talented quality but their solid defence could well be their best strength here given that they have conceded just once.
USA meanwhile have proven themselves to be defensively difficult to break down plus possess excellent pace and aggression in attack, which is bound to cause some issues here despite having scored just two goals at this tournament so far.
End product therefore looks crucial to the outcome of this match given how defensively solid both teams look coming into this game, although I do fancy the Dutch to edge this even if they need extra-time to get the win.
Prediction: Netherlands 2-1 (AET) USA
Result: Netherlands 3-1 USA